Connect with us

Latest News

Simultaneous Suicide Attacks Target Mosques in Kabul, Ghor Provinces

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: October 21, 2017)

Two simultaneous suicide attacks targeted mosques in Kabul and Ghor provinces late on Friday, officials confirm.

In the first incident, a suicide bomber has detonated explosives inside Imam Zaman mosque located in PD13 of Kabul city.

Afghanistan Ministry of Interior (MoI) has announced at least 39 people were killed and 45 others including women and children were wounded in the incident.

The spokesman of MoI, Najib Danish has confirmed the incident, saying the blast was a suicide attack which took place inside the mosque.

President Ashraf Ghani and Chief Executive, Abdullah Abdullah have strongly condemned the attack.

The so-called Islamic State (IS) claimed responsibility behind the attack saying it carried out the attack on Kabul’s Imam Zaman mosque, but provided no evidence for the claim.

In the second incident, a suicide attacker has also targeted worshipers in a mosque in Dawlina district of Ghor province in west of Afghanistan.

Provincial police spokesman Iqbal Nezami told Ariana News that the target was an famous ALP commander and his men.

The spokesman of Ghor governor, Abdul Hay Khatibi said at least 20 people were killed and 10 others were wounded in Ghor mosque attack.

However, no group including Taliban and IS group have claimed responsibility for the Ghor mosque attack so far.

In the meantime, Atta Muhammad Noor, the governor of Balkh has also condemned the attack and urged the government to take serious measures and bring needed reforms in the security institutions of the country.

The so-called Islamic State (IS) also known as Daesh has previously targeted mosques in Kabul and other provinces.

Latest News

Earthquake victims in Gayan district still in need of food and shelter

Published

on

(Last Updated On: June 25, 2022)

Hundreds of survivors of this week’s earthquake, who lost family members and their homes, are still in desperate need of help.

Sayed Bakhta, one of the survivors said that he has lost four family members and two others are hospitalized, adding that survivors are dealing with a lack of food and no shelter.

“We have no shelter here now, we don’t have food, all the victims are sitting outside without having shelter,” he said.

A number of Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan’s (IEA) officials who have visited Gayan district of Paktika say that almost 90 percent of residential areas have been destroyed.

“Almost 90 percent of residences are destroyed; only a few them are suitable for living, most of them are uninhabitable,” said Qalandar Ebad, acting minister of public health.

In the meantime, rugged roads have hampered relief efforts as Gayan victims grapple with a humanitarian crisis, but military helicopter try to deliver aid to the victims.

“According to the order of the Prime Minister, a meeting was held and according to that meeting, the ministries and donor organizations were instructed to come to the earthquake site as soon as possible and use all their facilities to save the people,” said Sharafuddin Muslim, deputy Minister of State for Disaster Management.

Continue Reading

Latest News

121 children among those killed in Afghanistan earthquake: UNICEF

Published

on

(Last Updated On: June 25, 2022)

The United Nations children’s agency said on Friday 121 of those who were killed in the 6.1-magnitude earthquake in Afghanistan this week were children.

Mohamed Ayoya, UNICEF Representative to Afghanistan, said as of late Thursday night, at least 1,036 people were reported killed and more than 1,643 reported injured.

The toll included 121 deaths and 67 injuries among the children, according to the official.

He said that Bermal district in Paktika province has the highest number of casualties and that several thousand homes were destroyed or damaged.

“Children and adolescents are extremely vulnerable and at high-risk of family separation, emotional and psychological distress, abuse and exploitation, and other forms of violence,” Ayoya said.

“UNICEF, in coordination with UN agencies, partners, and the de facto authorities (led by the Ministry of Defence) is rapidly preparing a multi-sectoral response covering health, WASH, child protection, nutrition, education, social mobilization, and including a cash component,” Ayoya said.
“UNICEF will be conducting a rapid market assessment in the affected areas in the upcoming days. The assessment will inform the feasibility and appropriateness of cash as a response to support early recovery. UNICEF has already trained partners for beneficiary registration on the ground.”

Continue Reading

Latest News

Pakistan dispatches second consignment of earthquake relief

Published

on

(Last Updated On: June 25, 2022)

Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Friday dispatched eight trucks loaded with relief goods for earthquake victims in Afghanistan.

According to a statement issued by the Pakistan government, the consignment, arranged by the National Disaster Management Authority, has been handed over to Afghan authorities.

The consignment consists of family tents, tarpaulins, blankets and emergency medicines.

“Pakistan is committed to continue supply of relief goods to Afghan brethren,” the statement read.

This comes after Pakistan sent in earthquake aid on Wednesday, just hours after the 6.1 magnitude earthquake hit Afghanistan’s eastern provinces, killing over 1,000 people and destroying thousands of houses.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 Ariana News. All rights reserved!