Latest News
Nearly 700 people died in natural disasters across Afghanistan over past year
Officials from the State Ministry for Disaster Management said during their annual accountability report on Monday that over the past year, almost 700 people died and hundreds more were injured due to natural disasters throughout the country.
“In the past year until now, we have more than 700 wounded and almost 700 martyrs, and more than 20,000 houses have been completely and partially destroyed,” said Shafiullah Rahimi, a spokesperson for the ministry.
The officials said that the organization has analyzed natural hazards up to district level, and that 20 provinces have been found to be at risk of floods and four provinces at risk of landslides.
The ministry has implemented about 120 small emergency and prevention projects and has also investigated and evaluated the vulnerable points against the dangers of natural disasters in 11 provinces of the country, officials said.
According to statistics, the ministry distributed 160 million AFN to the heirs of the martyrs and the injured in the recent earthquakes in Paktika and Khost provinces.
The officials also added that last year, 25,293 residential houses in different provinces of the country, destroyed by earthquakes and floods, have been rebuilt.
In addition, the officials pointed out that in the past year, 252 IED explosions were reported, causing the death of 180 people. In addition, 310 others were injured.
According to them, 65 sq km in the country have been cleared of mines or marked.
Latest News
Afghanistan received more than $11 billion in humanitarian aid over the past five years
Afghanistan has received more than $11 billion in humanitarian assistance since the Islamic Emirate returned to power in August 2021, according to United Nations figures cited by the BBC.
Despite the substantial aid, the gap between humanitarian needs and available funding remains wide, with the United Nations warning that millions of Afghans continue to require assistance.
The decline in international funding, a growing number of people in need and the return of millions of Afghan migrants from neighboring countries have added pressure to the country’s humanitarian situation.
Afghanistan’s humanitarian crisis deepened following the collapse of the previous government in August 2021. The depreciation of the national currency, the loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs and reductions in some international support programs further strained the economy and living conditions.
UN data shows that Afghanistan received about $5.2 billion in humanitarian assistance in 2021, followed by around $3.8 billion in 2022 and nearly $2 billion in 2023.
For 2024 and 2025, the United Nations appealed for more than $3 billion to address humanitarian needs in Afghanistan. However, funding fell short of the amounts requested.
The assistance has largely been directed toward food, healthcare, support for returnees and other urgent humanitarian needs.
The United Nations continues to classify Afghanistan as one of the world’s largest humanitarian crises, stressing that sustained international support remains essential for millions of Afghans who continue to need assistance.
Latest News
Afghanistan expresses condolences over deadly Indonesia earthquake
The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (IEA) has expressed deep sorrow over a powerful earthquake that struck eastern Indonesia, killing at least 53 people and forcing around 5,000 others to evacuate.
A magnitude-7.7 earthquake struck Flores Island and surrounding areas on Saturday, blocking roads and triggering landslides, Indonesian authorities said.
In a statement, Afghanistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs conveyed its sympathy and condolences to the government and people of Indonesia over the casualties caused by the earthquake.
It also wished a speedy recovery to those injured in the incident.
Latest News
Afghan commerce minister meets Uzbek deputy prime minister in Termez
Afghanistan’s Minister of Industry and Commerce, Nooruddin Azizi, met with Uzbekistan’s Deputy Prime Minister Jamshed Khojaev in the city of Termez to discuss expanding economic cooperation and joint investment.
The meeting, held on Saturday at the Termez Trade Center, focused on cooperation in the electricity, mining and agriculture sectors, Afghanistan’s Ministry of Industry and Commerce said in a statement.
Uzbek officials expressed interest in investing in various sectors in Afghanistan. The Afghan delegation welcomed the interest and emphasized its readiness to create the necessary conditions for expanding economic cooperation and joint investment.
Mohammad Yousuf Wafa, governor of Balkh, and Abdul Ghaffar Bahr, Afghanistan’s ambassador to Tashkent, also attended the meeting.
-
Latest News4 days agoHesabPay unveils new visa card and digital payment app in Kabul
-
International Sports4 days agoAFC Champions League Elite draw nears as Al-Nassr seeded above Al-Hilal
-
Sport5 days agoAfghanistan to host India for three-match T20I series in Delhi
-
Latest News4 days agoAfghan envoy invites Fazlur Rehman to embassy event marking IEA’s return to power
-
Sport5 days agoAfghanistan face Ireland with series win in sight
-
World5 days agoUS military operations killed 153 civilians in 2025, Pentagon assessment shows
-
Sport5 days agoKabul Premier League: Abasin Defenders thrash Band-e Amir Stars by 163 runs
-
Regional4 days agoIran says no progress on reviving interim peace deal with US
