Connect with us

Latest News

AfghanEvac warns US court ruling does not reopen door for Afghans

However, VanDiver stressed that the policy struck down by the court is separate from a broader entry proclamation that took effect on January 1, 2026.

Published

on

AfghanEvac has welcomed a US federal court ruling that overturned a State Department policy suspending immigrant visa processing for nationals of 75 countries, including Afghanistan, but warned that the decision does not reopen the main pathway to the United States for most Afghan applicants.

In a statement issued on Saturday, August 22, AfghanEvac President Shawn VanDiver said the August 21 ruling in Catholic Legal Immigration Network (CLINIC) v. Rubio correctly found that the government had ordered consular officers to refuse applicants who had already been determined to be eligible for immigrant visas based on their country of birth.

However, VanDiver stressed that the policy struck down by the court is separate from a broader entry proclamation that took effect on January 1, 2026.

“What the court struck down is the 75-country visa pause that took effect January 21, 2026,” VanDiver said. “What remains fully in force is the entry proclamation that took effect January 1, 2026.”

According to AfghanEvac, that proclamation suspends the entry of Afghan nationals and does not provide a broad categorical exemption for Afghan Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) holders. The organization said the entry proclamation was not before the court and therefore was not affected by the ruling.

“For most Afghan families, the door did not open yesterday,” VanDiver said.

AfghanEvac urged applicants and their families not to make travel arrangements, visit US embassies or consulates without scheduled appointments, or take action based solely on media reports.

The organization also warned applicants against withdrawing or refiling applications or paying individuals who claim that US immigration pathways for Afghans have reopened.

VanDiver said that applicants whose visa refusals were based solely on the now-vacated 75-country suspension could have their cases returned to a consular officer for a new decision.

However, he stressed that there is no deadline or guarantee that those applications will ultimately be approved.

Applicants whose refusals were based on other grounds, including the separate entry proclamation, remain in the same position as before the court ruling, AfghanEvac said.

“This ruling does not solve the problem,” VanDiver said. “It removes one unlawful barrier and leaves the central one standing.”

AfghanEvac called on the US State Department to provide clear guidance to diplomatic posts and to readjudicate cases returned to consular officers following the court ruling.

The organization also called on the Trump administration to restore an exemption for Afghan allies who have already earned Special Immigrant Visas and urged Congress to take further action.

VanDiver said Afghan allies who worked alongside US forces should not be left in legal uncertainty after having served the United States.

The court decision therefore represents a significant change for some immigrant visa applicants, but AfghanEvac cautioned that it should not be interpreted as a general reopening of US entry for Afghan nationals or as an immediate lifting of restrictions affecting Afghan SIV holders.

Latest News

Five-day workshop launched in Kabul to standardize Pashto and Dari orthography

Published

on

The Ministry of Information and Culture has launched a five-day scientific and cultural workshop in Kabul aimed at reviewing and standardizing the writing systems of Afghanistan’s Pashto and Dari languages.

The workshop is being organized by the High Council of Languages Commission under the ministry’s Deputy Ministry of Culture and Arts at the National Museum of Afghanistan.

Officials say the initiative seeks to strengthen the academic foundations of the two languages, harmonize writing practices and improve literary and cultural standards.

Sheikh Abdul Rahman Tayebi, Deputy Minister of Culture and Arts, attended the opening ceremony alongside ministry officials, representatives of the ministries of Higher Education and Education, the Academy of Sciences, Kabul University and the University of Education, as well as linguists, researchers, writers, academics and media representatives.

Hafiz Saifur Rahman Mohammadi, head of Public Culture at the Ministry of Information and Culture, said the High Council of Languages Commission was established to support the country’s languages and develop standardized writing systems for national and other languages.

Tayebi said the Islamic Emirate is committed to strengthening and developing all languages in Afghanistan, adding that there should be no discrimination based on language, ethnicity, region or religion.

During the workshop, university professors, education officials and an Academy of Sciences representative discussed differences in the current writing systems of Pashto and Dari.

Participants said the workshop will examine these differences and work toward developing standardized and harmonized orthographic guidelines for the two languages, with the aim of promoting their consistent use in academic, educational, administrative and cultural settings.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Four mediators struggle to secure lasting Pakistan-Afghanistan ceasefire

The involvement of four mediators has provided important diplomatic channels, but the article argues that their efforts have not always operated within a single framework.

Published

on

A ceasefire between Pakistan and Afghanistan remains fragile despite sustained diplomatic efforts by Qatar, Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and China, according to an analysis published by Modern Diplomacy.

The article by Sher Ali Ranjha, published on August 22, says the four countries have helped contain tensions at critical moments but have so far been unable to resolve the underlying security disagreements between Islamabad and Kabul.

The diplomatic process intensified after serious border clashes in October 2025, when Türkiye and Qatar helped facilitate a ceasefire in Doha. Subsequent talks in Istanbul explored ways to strengthen the agreement, including a possible monitoring and verification mechanism.

However, the two sides continue to differ over what constitutes a ceasefire violation. Pakistan has raised concerns about attacks by the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), which it says are carried out from Afghan territory. The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan has rejected allegations that it provides a safe haven to the group and has maintained that Pakistan should address its own security challenges.

The article says this disagreement remains at the centre of the diplomatic impasse. Pakistan is seeking verifiable measures to prevent militant activity from Afghan territory, while Kabul has expressed concern over Pakistani military actions inside Afghanistan and the impact on its sovereignty.

The relationship between Afghanistan and India has added another dimension to the dispute. India has increased its engagement with Kabul, including through diplomatic and trade initiatives and cooperation involving Iran’s Chabahar Port.

The article notes that Pakistan views closer Afghan-Indian relations through the wider context of its rivalry with New Delhi. Pakistani allegations that India supports militant groups operating from Afghanistan remain disputed and have not been independently established, but they contribute to Islamabad’s security concerns.

The involvement of four mediators has provided important diplomatic channels, but the article argues that their efforts have not always operated within a single framework.

Qatar has strong access to Afghan officials and extensive experience in negotiations, Türkiye maintains relations with both sides, Saudi Arabia has financial and diplomatic influence, while China has significant economic and strategic interests in both countries.

China subsequently hosted Pakistani and Afghan representatives in Urumqi in 2026, helping bring the two sides back to negotiations.

The article argues that these efforts should not be considered complete failures. Rather, the mediators have been more successful in managing periods of tension than in addressing the deeper causes of the dispute.

For a more durable arrangement, the article proposes measurable security commitments, including restrictions on militant movement, disruption of financing, intelligence cooperation and measures to prevent cross-border attacks.

It also suggests that any Afghan commitments could be accompanied by greater restraint from Pakistan, including reducing reliance on unilateral military action.

The article says an independent verification mechanism could help both sides address their competing concerns. Such a mechanism could allow Kabul to demonstrate that Afghan territory is not being used for attacks against Pakistan while providing Islamabad with a process for raising specific security concerns.

Among the four mediators, the article identifies China as potentially best placed to coordinate such a framework because of its relationships with both Pakistan and Afghanistan and its interest in regional stability and economic connectivity.

It suggests that China could coordinate the overall process, with Qatar supporting diplomatic engagement, Türkiye assisting with technical negotiations and Saudi Arabia providing economic incentives.

The article concludes that another temporary ceasefire may not be enough to prevent renewed confrontation. A lasting arrangement would require clear definitions of violations, credible verification, measurable security commitments and corresponding restraint from both sides.

It argues that the four mediators have helped keep diplomacy alive, but a more coordinated framework may be needed to turn repeated crisis management into a longer-term peace process.

Continue Reading

Latest News

UNAMA highlights need for alternative livelihoods during Badakhshan visit

Gagnon reaffirmed the United Nations’ support for communities across Afghanistan and stressed the importance of expanding sustainable economic opportunities, particularly for communities affected by the challenges of illicit narcotics.

Published

on

The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) has called for greater investment in alternative development opportunities and sustainable livelihoods during a visit by its Acting Head and Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General, Georgette Gagnon, to Badakhshan province.

According to UNAMA, Gagnon met with local authorities, community leaders and other stakeholders to discuss issues affecting residents of the province, particularly women and efforts to address the impact of narcotics.

In Faizabad, she met with women entrepreneurs and visited a UN-supported drug rehabilitation centre. She also travelled to Khash district, where she toured a women’s safe space and a women-led dairy processing enterprise providing an alternative source of income to poppy cultivation.

Gagnon reaffirmed the United Nations’ support for communities across Afghanistan and stressed the importance of expanding sustainable economic opportunities, particularly for communities affected by the challenges of illicit narcotics.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2026 Ariana News. All rights reserved!