Latest News
Karzai urges neighbors to halt forced deportations amid Afghanistan’s refugee crisis
Former Afghan President Hamid Karzai has called on regional countries to suspend the mass deportation of Afghan refugees, warning that the dire humanitarian and economic situation inside Afghanistan renders conditions unfit for return.
In a statement shared on his official X (formerly Twitter) account, Karzai said: “While we understand the challenges host countries face due to the large presence of refugees, the worsening situation inside Afghanistan has created circumstances in which the necessary conditions for their return do not exist. Forcibly sending them back in the current situation would not only add to the existing burdens, but could also create greater risks and serious threats — a situation that benefits no one.”
Karzai specifically appealed to Iran and Pakistan—two of the largest host nations for Afghan refugees—to reconsider their recent moves to accelerate deportations. He emphasized the need for a more humane and measured approach, particularly given Afghanistan’s ongoing economic collapse, restrictions on women’s rights, and widespread instability.
“Our request and expectation from host countries is to reconsider their decision regarding the mass and forced deportation of Afghan refugees, especially in light of the ongoing challenges — particularly the economic hardships and the closure of schools and universities to girls,” Karzai said.
Karzai’s comments come amid a growing refugee crisis. According to officials in Kabul, more than 500,000 Afghan migrants have returned from Iran in the past month alone, many of them forcibly deported.
The figure, reported by Deputy Prime Minister Abdul Salam Hanafi earlier this month, highlights the intensifying pressure on Afghanistan’s fragile infrastructure and social services.
The mass returns have overwhelmed border crossings in western provinces like Herat and Nimroz, where aid agencies have warned of insufficient shelter, food, and medical support for returnees—many of whom are women, children, or elderly.
Decades of displacement
Karzai also pointed to the historical context of Afghanistan’s refugee crisis. “The people of Afghanistan were first forced into involuntary and imposed migration nearly four and a half decades ago following the invasion of the former Soviet forces and continued foreign interventions,” he said. “As a result, they were compelled to leave their homeland and seek refuge in other countries—and this issue has only intensified in recent years.”
Host countries, especially Iran and Pakistan, have cited economic constraints, domestic political pressure, and national security concerns as reasons for accelerating deportations.
However, humanitarian groups including the UNHCR have urged these governments to respect the principle of non-refoulement, which prohibits the forced return of individuals to countries where they may face persecution or harm.
Karzai concluded his appeal by urging a cooperative regional approach that takes into account both the humanitarian needs of Afghan refugees and the practical limitations of host countries, but without resorting to mass forced returns.
Latest News
Blast at Kabul school injures at least 52
An explosion at a school in Afghanistan’s capital, Kabul, on Monday injured at least 52 people, according to sources.
The blast, caused by a hand grenade, occurred at around 4:55 p.m. at Sham-e Hedayat Private School in Mahdiya Township, located in Kabul’s 18th security district.
According to sources, the grenade was in the hands of a student when it exploded.
Latest News
Juma Khan Fateh surrenders to IEA forces in Badakhshan
According to the sources, Fateh’s remaining associates are expected to be disarmed, while IEA forces are set to establish full control over the area.
Juma Khan Fateh and his forces have surrendered to the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (IEA) in Nusay district of Badakhshan province following several days of pressure and encirclement, security sources told Ariana News.
Sources said increasing pressure on Fateh’s group left them with no option but to surrender. Fateh and his fighters reportedly laid down their weapons at positions held by IEA forces in Nusay.
Qari Fasihuddin Fitrat, the IEA’s Army Chief of Staff, had travelled to Nusay to oversee the situation and the operation against Fateh’s group.
According to the sources, Fateh’s remaining associates are expected to be disarmed, while IEA forces are set to establish full control over the area.
The reported surrender marks the latest development in the security situation in Nusay, although further details about the terms of the surrender and the number of fighters involved were not immediately available.
Latest News
Afghanistan Supreme Court says rights of almost 119,000 women addressed over five years
The courts also handled 8,904 cases related to women’s maintenance and other associated rights, according to Hamza.
Afghanistan’s Supreme Court says the country’s courts have addressed the legal and Sharia-based rights of 118,869 women over the past five years.
Mansoor Ahmad Hamza, deputy spokesman for the Supreme Court, said the cases covered a range of issues, including inheritance, property, maintenance, documentation and other legal matters.
Hamza said courts handled 12,976 cases involving women’s inheritance and property rights during the five-year period. Another 9,021 inheritance-related cases were registered for information gathering and review.
He added that 18,750 cases involving the registration, verification and certification of women’s property and related documents were addressed, while 22,703 cases concerned the processing of inheritance and property documents.
The courts also handled 8,904 cases related to women’s maintenance and other associated rights, according to Hamza.
He said inheritance, property, dowry, maintenance and other rights granted to women under Islamic Sharia are recognized as established rights, and that courts are required to examine such cases carefully and impartially in accordance with Sharia and applicable laws.
Hamza added that judicial proceedings involving women’s rights will continue, with the aim of ensuring that eligible individuals receive their legal and religious rights and preventing those rights from being denied or lost.
-
Latest News4 days agoHesabPay unveils new visa card and digital payment app in Kabul
-
International Sports4 days agoAFC Champions League Elite draw nears as Al-Nassr seeded above Al-Hilal
-
Latest News4 days agoAfghan envoy invites Fazlur Rehman to embassy event marking IEA’s return to power
-
Regional5 days agoIran says no progress on reviving interim peace deal with US
-
Sport4 days agoAfghanistan clinch Ireland series with record ODI score
-
Latest News4 days agoAfghanistan’s future depends on inclusive progress and sustained international engagement: UNAMA
-
Health4 days agoSave the Children warns of rising child malnutrition amid funding cut crisis
-
Latest News4 days agoMujahid rejects UN sanctions monitoring team’s report on foreign militant groups in Afghanistan
