Latest News
Trade resumes as Afghanistan and Pakistan reopen key Torkham border crossing
Torkham border gate has been reopened for trade vehicles after Afghanistan and Pakistan jirga members reached an agreement following several rounds of talks.
The border, which had been closed for 26 days, will reopen to the public on Friday.
According to officials from the Nangarhar Chamber of Commerce, several rounds of discussions were held between the private sectors of both sides. The extended border closure cost Afghan traders an estimated $1 million a day, chamber officials said.
Sayed Tayyib Hamad, spokesperson for the Nangarhar Police Command, also confirmed Wednesday that the Torkham gate had been reopened for trucks and will reopen for the public on Friday.
Pakistan closed the gate almost a month ago amid growing tension and subsequent clashes between border forces over the reconstruction of a controversial checkpost on the Afghanistan side of the border.
The move resulted in significant financial losses for traders on both sides.
Afghanistan and Pakistan traders have meanwhile appealed for authorities in both countries to separate trade from politics and said disputes can only be solved through dialogue.
Latest News
Blast at Kabul school injures at least 52
An explosion at a school in Afghanistan’s capital, Kabul, on Monday injured at least 52 people, according to sources.
The blast, caused by a hand grenade, occurred at around 4:55 p.m. at Sham-e Hedayat Private School in Mahdiya Township, located in Kabul’s 18th security district.
According to sources, the grenade was in the hands of a student when it exploded.
Latest News
Juma Khan Fateh surrenders to IEA forces in Badakhshan
According to the sources, Fateh’s remaining associates are expected to be disarmed, while IEA forces are set to establish full control over the area.
Juma Khan Fateh and his forces have surrendered to the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (IEA) in Nusay district of Badakhshan province following several days of pressure and encirclement, security sources told Ariana News.
Sources said increasing pressure on Fateh’s group left them with no option but to surrender. Fateh and his fighters reportedly laid down their weapons at positions held by IEA forces in Nusay.
Qari Fasihuddin Fitrat, the IEA’s Army Chief of Staff, had travelled to Nusay to oversee the situation and the operation against Fateh’s group.
According to the sources, Fateh’s remaining associates are expected to be disarmed, while IEA forces are set to establish full control over the area.
The reported surrender marks the latest development in the security situation in Nusay, although further details about the terms of the surrender and the number of fighters involved were not immediately available.
Latest News
Afghanistan Supreme Court says rights of almost 119,000 women addressed over five years
The courts also handled 8,904 cases related to women’s maintenance and other associated rights, according to Hamza.
Afghanistan’s Supreme Court says the country’s courts have addressed the legal and Sharia-based rights of 118,869 women over the past five years.
Mansoor Ahmad Hamza, deputy spokesman for the Supreme Court, said the cases covered a range of issues, including inheritance, property, maintenance, documentation and other legal matters.
Hamza said courts handled 12,976 cases involving women’s inheritance and property rights during the five-year period. Another 9,021 inheritance-related cases were registered for information gathering and review.
He added that 18,750 cases involving the registration, verification and certification of women’s property and related documents were addressed, while 22,703 cases concerned the processing of inheritance and property documents.
The courts also handled 8,904 cases related to women’s maintenance and other associated rights, according to Hamza.
He said inheritance, property, dowry, maintenance and other rights granted to women under Islamic Sharia are recognized as established rights, and that courts are required to examine such cases carefully and impartially in accordance with Sharia and applicable laws.
Hamza added that judicial proceedings involving women’s rights will continue, with the aim of ensuring that eligible individuals receive their legal and religious rights and preventing those rights from being denied or lost.
-
Latest News4 days agoHesabPay unveils new visa card and digital payment app in Kabul
-
International Sports5 days agoAFC Champions League Elite draw nears as Al-Nassr seeded above Al-Hilal
-
Latest News5 days agoAfghan envoy invites Fazlur Rehman to embassy event marking IEA’s return to power
-
Regional5 days agoIran says no progress on reviving interim peace deal with US
-
Sport5 days agoAfghanistan clinch Ireland series with record ODI score
-
Latest News5 days agoAfghanistan’s future depends on inclusive progress and sustained international engagement: UNAMA
-
Health5 days agoSave the Children warns of rising child malnutrition amid funding cut crisis
-
Regional4 days agoTurkey lays out plans for defence pact with Pakistan and Saudi Arabia
