Connect with us

Latest News

Death of former Afghan Special Forces ally in ICE custody ruled an accident

The circumstances surrounding his death have prompted criticism from Afghan refugee advocates and members of the U.S. Congress.

Published

on

The death of an Afghan man who fought alongside US Special Forces before resettling in the United States has been ruled an accident after he suffered a fatal allergic reaction while in Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody.

According to a death certificate, 41-year-old Mohammad Nazeer Paktiawal died on March 14 after experiencing an adverse reaction to an unidentified substance that triggered anaphylaxis and aggravated his asthma. He died at a hospital in Dallas, Texas, one day after being detained by ICE as part of deportation proceedings.

The ruling has intensified calls for greater transparency surrounding Paktiawal’s death, with advocacy organizations, lawmakers and family members demanding the release of the full autopsy report.

Paktiawal had served alongside U.S. Special Forces in Afghanistan for around a decade before being evacuated to the United States during the 2021 withdrawal of American troops. He entered the country legally and had an asylum application pending when ICE officers arrested him at his Texas home on March 13.

According to ICE, Paktiawal underwent a medical screening after arriving at a detention facility and did not report any medical conditions or allergies. Hours later, he complained of chest pain and difficulty breathing before being transferred to Parkland Memorial Hospital.

Hospital staff later observed swelling of his tongue while he was eating breakfast and administered epinephrine, the standard emergency treatment for severe allergic reactions. Despite efforts to revive him, he was pronounced dead approximately 40 minutes later.

The death certificate lists the cause of death as “anaphylaxis complicating acute asthma exacerbation.” It also identifies methamphetamine toxicity, heart disease and cigarette smoking as contributing factors.

However, Paktiawal’s relatives dispute suggestions that he used methamphetamine. His family commissioned an independent autopsy, but experts were reportedly unable to determine whether the drug was present because no blood samples remained for further testing.

His wife has also said Paktiawal suffered from asthma and relied on an inhaler, claiming ICE officers refused to allow her to hand him the medication when he was taken into custody.

The circumstances surrounding his death have prompted criticism from Afghan refugee advocates and members of the U.S. Congress.

Shawn VanDiver, president of the advocacy group AfghanEvac, questioned what substance caused the fatal allergic reaction and called for authorities to release the complete autopsy findings.

“This family has a right to know what happened,” VanDiver said.

U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal also urged the Department of Homeland Security to make the autopsy public, saying there were serious unanswered questions surrounding the case.

Dallas County officials have so far declined to release the report, arguing that disclosure could interfere with an ongoing federal criminal investigation. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton’s office is reviewing the request to withhold the document under the state’s public records law.

ICE has defended its decision to detain Paktiawal, citing previous arrests on food stamp fraud and theft allegations. However, he had not been convicted in either case.

Paktiawal’s death has resonated widely within the Afghan-American community, where many remember him as a soldier who risked his life supporting U.S. forces during the war in Afghanistan before rebuilding his life in America as a truck driver and father of six.

His case is the first death in ICE custody during President Donald Trump’s second term to be officially classified as an accident. Most other deaths recorded during the period have been attributed to natural causes or suicide.

Latest News

Five-day workshop launched in Kabul to standardize Pashto and Dari orthography

Published

on

The Ministry of Information and Culture has launched a five-day scientific and cultural workshop in Kabul aimed at reviewing and standardizing the writing systems of Afghanistan’s Pashto and Dari languages.

The workshop is being organized by the High Council of Languages Commission under the ministry’s Deputy Ministry of Culture and Arts at the National Museum of Afghanistan.

Officials say the initiative seeks to strengthen the academic foundations of the two languages, harmonize writing practices and improve literary and cultural standards.

Sheikh Abdul Rahman Tayebi, Deputy Minister of Culture and Arts, attended the opening ceremony alongside ministry officials, representatives of the ministries of Higher Education and Education, the Academy of Sciences, Kabul University and the University of Education, as well as linguists, researchers, writers, academics and media representatives.

Hafiz Saifur Rahman Mohammadi, head of Public Culture at the Ministry of Information and Culture, said the High Council of Languages Commission was established to support the country’s languages and develop standardized writing systems for national and other languages.

Tayebi said the Islamic Emirate is committed to strengthening and developing all languages in Afghanistan, adding that there should be no discrimination based on language, ethnicity, region or religion.

During the workshop, university professors, education officials and an Academy of Sciences representative discussed differences in the current writing systems of Pashto and Dari.

Participants said the workshop will examine these differences and work toward developing standardized and harmonized orthographic guidelines for the two languages, with the aim of promoting their consistent use in academic, educational, administrative and cultural settings.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Four mediators struggle to secure lasting Pakistan-Afghanistan ceasefire

The involvement of four mediators has provided important diplomatic channels, but the article argues that their efforts have not always operated within a single framework.

Published

on

A ceasefire between Pakistan and Afghanistan remains fragile despite sustained diplomatic efforts by Qatar, Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and China, according to an analysis published by Modern Diplomacy.

The article by Sher Ali Ranjha, published on August 22, says the four countries have helped contain tensions at critical moments but have so far been unable to resolve the underlying security disagreements between Islamabad and Kabul.

The diplomatic process intensified after serious border clashes in October 2025, when Türkiye and Qatar helped facilitate a ceasefire in Doha. Subsequent talks in Istanbul explored ways to strengthen the agreement, including a possible monitoring and verification mechanism.

However, the two sides continue to differ over what constitutes a ceasefire violation. Pakistan has raised concerns about attacks by the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), which it says are carried out from Afghan territory. The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan has rejected allegations that it provides a safe haven to the group and has maintained that Pakistan should address its own security challenges.

The article says this disagreement remains at the centre of the diplomatic impasse. Pakistan is seeking verifiable measures to prevent militant activity from Afghan territory, while Kabul has expressed concern over Pakistani military actions inside Afghanistan and the impact on its sovereignty.

The relationship between Afghanistan and India has added another dimension to the dispute. India has increased its engagement with Kabul, including through diplomatic and trade initiatives and cooperation involving Iran’s Chabahar Port.

The article notes that Pakistan views closer Afghan-Indian relations through the wider context of its rivalry with New Delhi. Pakistani allegations that India supports militant groups operating from Afghanistan remain disputed and have not been independently established, but they contribute to Islamabad’s security concerns.

The involvement of four mediators has provided important diplomatic channels, but the article argues that their efforts have not always operated within a single framework.

Qatar has strong access to Afghan officials and extensive experience in negotiations, Türkiye maintains relations with both sides, Saudi Arabia has financial and diplomatic influence, while China has significant economic and strategic interests in both countries.

China subsequently hosted Pakistani and Afghan representatives in Urumqi in 2026, helping bring the two sides back to negotiations.

The article argues that these efforts should not be considered complete failures. Rather, the mediators have been more successful in managing periods of tension than in addressing the deeper causes of the dispute.

For a more durable arrangement, the article proposes measurable security commitments, including restrictions on militant movement, disruption of financing, intelligence cooperation and measures to prevent cross-border attacks.

It also suggests that any Afghan commitments could be accompanied by greater restraint from Pakistan, including reducing reliance on unilateral military action.

The article says an independent verification mechanism could help both sides address their competing concerns. Such a mechanism could allow Kabul to demonstrate that Afghan territory is not being used for attacks against Pakistan while providing Islamabad with a process for raising specific security concerns.

Among the four mediators, the article identifies China as potentially best placed to coordinate such a framework because of its relationships with both Pakistan and Afghanistan and its interest in regional stability and economic connectivity.

It suggests that China could coordinate the overall process, with Qatar supporting diplomatic engagement, Türkiye assisting with technical negotiations and Saudi Arabia providing economic incentives.

The article concludes that another temporary ceasefire may not be enough to prevent renewed confrontation. A lasting arrangement would require clear definitions of violations, credible verification, measurable security commitments and corresponding restraint from both sides.

It argues that the four mediators have helped keep diplomacy alive, but a more coordinated framework may be needed to turn repeated crisis management into a longer-term peace process.

Continue Reading

Latest News

UNAMA highlights need for alternative livelihoods during Badakhshan visit

Gagnon reaffirmed the United Nations’ support for communities across Afghanistan and stressed the importance of expanding sustainable economic opportunities, particularly for communities affected by the challenges of illicit narcotics.

Published

on

The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) has called for greater investment in alternative development opportunities and sustainable livelihoods during a visit by its Acting Head and Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General, Georgette Gagnon, to Badakhshan province.

According to UNAMA, Gagnon met with local authorities, community leaders and other stakeholders to discuss issues affecting residents of the province, particularly women and efforts to address the impact of narcotics.

In Faizabad, she met with women entrepreneurs and visited a UN-supported drug rehabilitation centre. She also travelled to Khash district, where she toured a women’s safe space and a women-led dairy processing enterprise providing an alternative source of income to poppy cultivation.

Gagnon reaffirmed the United Nations’ support for communities across Afghanistan and stressed the importance of expanding sustainable economic opportunities, particularly for communities affected by the challenges of illicit narcotics.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2026 Ariana News. All rights reserved!