Connect with us

Latest News

Durand Line closure, Iran conflict worsening hunger crisis in Afghanistan: UN

Published

on

The United Nations says nearly one million additional Afghan children at risk of malnutrition could have received food assistance if tensions with Pakistan and the war involving Iran had not sharply increased transport costs and disrupted supply routes.

Carl Skau, deputy executive director of the World Food Programme, told AFP that Afghanistan is facing an escalating nutrition emergency, with malnutrition cases reaching record levels in 2025.

“It is a nutrition crisis here in Afghanistan,” Skau said, adding that the rise in malnutrition this year is even worse than last year’s unprecedented surge.

According to WFP estimates released in January, around five million Afghan women and children are expected to suffer life-threatening malnutrition this year.

The crisis has been compounded by a near-total closure of the Durand Lin for eight months, as well as the broader economic fallout from the conflict involving Iran. The disruptions have driven up food and fuel prices and affected supply chains.

“If we weren’t struggling with the supply chain, both delays and costs, we would be able to feed a million more children here in Afghanistan,” Skau said.

He cited the example of thousands of tons of fortified biscuits intended for Afghan schoolchildren that were originally scheduled to enter Afghanistan through Pakistan. After the Durand Line closure, the supplies were rerouted through Dubai and Iran, but renewed regional conflict forced another diversion through several countries, including Saudi Arabia, Turkiye, Georgia and Turkmenistan.

“It’s about to arrive this week, but it’s taken… months. It cost us way more,” Skau said.

The WFP has also struggled to secure funding for Afghanistan, receiving only eight percent of its targeted budget for this year.

 

Latest News

Blast at Kabul school injures at least 52

Published

on

An explosion at a school in Afghanistan’s capital, Kabul, on Monday injured at least 52 people, according to sources.

The blast, caused by a hand grenade, occurred at around 4:55 p.m. at Sham-e Hedayat Private School in Mahdiya Township, located in Kabul’s 18th security district.

According to sources, the grenade was in the hands of a student when it exploded.

 

Continue Reading

Latest News

Juma Khan Fateh surrenders to IEA forces in Badakhshan

According to the sources, Fateh’s remaining associates are expected to be disarmed, while IEA forces are set to establish full control over the area.

Published

on

Juma Khan Fateh and his forces have surrendered to the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (IEA) in Nusay district of Badakhshan province following several days of pressure and encirclement, security sources told Ariana News.

Sources said increasing pressure on Fateh’s group left them with no option but to surrender. Fateh and his fighters reportedly laid down their weapons at positions held by IEA forces in Nusay.

Qari Fasihuddin Fitrat, the IEA’s Army Chief of Staff, had travelled to Nusay to oversee the situation and the operation against Fateh’s group.

According to the sources, Fateh’s remaining associates are expected to be disarmed, while IEA forces are set to establish full control over the area.

The reported surrender marks the latest development in the security situation in Nusay, although further details about the terms of the surrender and the number of fighters involved were not immediately available.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Afghanistan Supreme Court says rights of almost 119,000 women addressed over five years

The courts also handled 8,904 cases related to women’s maintenance and other associated rights, according to Hamza.

Published

on

Afghanistan’s Supreme Court says the country’s courts have addressed the legal and Sharia-based rights of 118,869 women over the past five years.

Mansoor Ahmad Hamza, deputy spokesman for the Supreme Court, said the cases covered a range of issues, including inheritance, property, maintenance, documentation and other legal matters.

Hamza said courts handled 12,976 cases involving women’s inheritance and property rights during the five-year period. Another 9,021 inheritance-related cases were registered for information gathering and review.

He added that 18,750 cases involving the registration, verification and certification of women’s property and related documents were addressed, while 22,703 cases concerned the processing of inheritance and property documents.

The courts also handled 8,904 cases related to women’s maintenance and other associated rights, according to Hamza.

He said inheritance, property, dowry, maintenance and other rights granted to women under Islamic Sharia are recognized as established rights, and that courts are required to examine such cases carefully and impartially in accordance with Sharia and applicable laws.

Hamza added that judicial proceedings involving women’s rights will continue, with the aim of ensuring that eligible individuals receive their legal and religious rights and preventing those rights from being denied or lost.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2026 Ariana News. All rights reserved!