Latest News
ANSF Retake Musa Qala from Taliban: MoD
Government forces have regained control of a strategic district in southern Helmand province late last night, a statement from Afghan Ministry of Defense (MoD) says.
220 Taliban fighters have been killed and wounded during the operations by Afghan security forces, the statement added.
At the same time Omar Zwak, a spokesman for the governor of Helmand province, said Sunday that Afghan forces launched an operation on Friday to retake the district of Musa Qala.
Taliban insurgents overran Musa Qala on Wednesday after a week of attacks targeting security forces there.
NATO said it conducted at least 13 airstrikes on Taliban positions in the district last week to aid Afghan forces.
Helmand, the source of most of the heroin produced in Afghanistan, is the Taliban heartland and the scene of heavy fighting since the warm weather fighting season began in April.