Connect with us

Sport

Triathlon-Races to go ahead on Wednesday as Seine passes water quality tests

The decision to postpone the men’s race at the last minute on Tuesday had triggered anger among some athletes, Reuters reported.

Published

on

Organisers cleared the Olympic women’s and men’s triathlons to go ahead on Wednesday after the latest Seine river water tests showed lower levels of bacteria, ending days of uncertainty over whether the central Paris swim was viable after heavy rains, Reuters reported.

The men’s triathlon had been scheduled to take place on Tuesday but was postponed until Wednesday after the river failed water quality tests.

News that the races would go ahead on Wednesday came as a relief for teams and athletes, as well as for Paris authorities who have promised residents a swimmable Seine as a long-term legacy of the Games, with the triathlon a very public test.

“It is with great joy that we received this news,” Benjamin Maze, technical director for France’s triathlon federation, told Reuters. “Now that we know we will race, we can mentally switch fully into competition mode.”

Fifty-five women representing 34 countries will kick off the contest at 8 a.m. (0600 GMT), with France’s Cassandre Beaugrand and Britain’s Beth Potter, two of the top contenders for gold, set to dive into the river side by side, read the report.

The men’s event will take place at 10:45 a.m., immediately after the women’s race.

“The results of the latest water analyses, received at 3.20 a.m., have been assessed as compliant by World Triathlon allowing for the triathlon competitions to take place,” Paris 2024 and World Triathlon said in a statement.

Paris has spent 1.4 billion euros ($1.52 billion) of public money on wastewater infrastructure to contain sewage and minimise spillage into the river, and Mayor Anne Hidalgo took a dip earlier this month in a bid to convince doubters that the water will not make them ill.

The decision to postpone the men’s race at the last minute on Tuesday had triggered anger among some athletes, Reuters reported.

“If the priority was the health of the athletes this event would have been moved to another location a long time ago,” Belgium’s Marten Van Riel wrote on World Triathlon’s Instagram page.

“We are just puppets in a puppet show.”

The gamble that the river would be clean enough for the triathlon was never guaranteed to pay off as water quality varies widely day-to-day, with rainfall causing concentrations of infection-causing bacteria like E. coli to rise.

Wednesday’s races were given the green light despite rain overnight and forecasts for showers around midday which could hit towards the end of the men’s event.

Organisers make the call based on analysis of river samples taken the previous day at 5 a.m. combined with a discussion between experts on overnight weather, according to Paris 2024.

 

Sport

Mohammadi crowned champion of 2nd season of Ariana Snooker Championship

In the under-17 division, Hasib Sultani delivered a dominant performance to defeat Sobhan Asas 4–1 and claim the youth championship title.

Published

on

Last Updated on: May 23, 2026

Afghan cueist Salih Mohammad Mohammadi claimed the title of the second season of the Ariana Snooker Championship after defeating Reza Hosaini 6–4 in a competitive senior final held on Friday in Kabul.

The final delivered an entertaining contest between two of Afghanistan’s leading snooker players, with both competitors producing tactical and technically disciplined performances across 10 frames.

Mohammadi maintained control during key moments of the match, compiling several impressive breaks and demonstrating consistent shot-making to secure the championship trophy.

Hosaini mounted a strong challenge throughout the encounter, winning four frames and keeping the contest alive until the closing stages, but Mohammadi’s composure under pressure ultimately proved decisive.

In the under-17 division, rising talent Hasib Sultani defeated Sobhan Asas 4–1 to win the youth championship title.

Sultani impressed spectators with his calm approach, accurate potting, and tactical awareness, underlining his status as one of Afghanistan’s emerging snooker prospects.

The second season of the Ariana Snooker Championship began on May 11 and featured 32 players from across Afghanistan who qualified through preliminary competitions held in several provinces. The tournament was played in the increasingly popular six-red snooker format, with group-stage and knockout matches contested over best-of-seven frames.

Snooker has continued to gain popularity in Afghanistan in recent years, particularly among younger players, with national tournaments attracting growing audiences and wider television coverage. Organizers say the competition is intended to help develop local talent and create more opportunities for Afghan players to compete at a higher level.

Under an agreement with Ariana Radio and Television Network (ATN), four more seasons of the championship are scheduled to be broadcast live and exclusively nationwide, reflecting increasing investment in domestic sporting competitions.

The inaugural edition of the tournament, held in 2025, was won by Naveed Nadery after a dramatic 7–6 victory over Raees Khan Hotak in the final.

ATN has expanded its coverage of national sports in recent years, broadcasting a range of domestic and international events as part of broader efforts to support the growth of sports across Afghanistan.

Continue Reading

Sport

Chennai Super Kings eliminated as Gujarat Titans register record IPL victory

The emphatic victory lifted Gujarat to second place in the standings, while Chennai’s defeat officially ended their playoff hopes.

Published

on

Gujarat Titans stormed into the Indian Premier League playoffs with a commanding 89-run win over Chennai Super Kings in Ahmedabad on Thursday, handing the five-time champions their exit from the tournament.

Powered by explosive batting and disciplined bowling, Gujarat posted 229 for four before bowling Chennai out for 140 in just 14 overs — sealing the franchise’s biggest victory margin in IPL history.

Captain Shubman Gill and Sai Sudharsan gave Gujarat a flying start with a 125-run opening partnership. Gill smashed 64 off 37 balls, while Sai continued his superb form with a brilliant 84 from 53 deliveries.

After Gill’s dismissal, Jos Buttler launched a late assault, hammering an unbeaten 57 off 27 balls to lift Gujarat to a daunting total.

Chennai’s chase collapsed early after fast bowler Mohammed Siraj tore through the top order. Siraj dismissed Sanju Samson for a first-ball duck before removing skipper Ruturaj Gaikwad and Urvil Patel in a devastating opening spell.

South African pacer Kagiso Rabada also impressed with three wickets, while Afghanistan spinner Rashid Khan claimed 3-18 to wrap up the innings.

Shivam Dube offered the lone fightback for Chennai with a rapid 47 off 17 balls, but the visitors never recovered from their disastrous start.

The emphatic victory lifted Gujarat to second place in the standings, while Chennai’s defeat officially ended their playoff hopes.

In the next IPL match, Sunrisers Hyderabad will face Royal Challengers Bangalore today at 6:30p.m. in Hyderabad. All matches will be broadcast live across Afghanistan on Ariana Television, bringing full coverage of every boundary, wicket, and turning moment to viewers nationwide.

Continue Reading

Sport

New dates announced for Afghanistan Wrestling Premier League

Ariana Television Network (ATN), which recently secured exclusive broadcast rights for the league under a five-year agreement with the Afghanistan Wrestling Federation, will air the matches live across the country.

Published

on

Organizers of the Afghanistan Wrestling Premier League have announced that the inaugural tournament will now be held from July 20 to July 29, 2026, in Kabul.

The competition had originally been scheduled to take place from June 1 to June 10.

Officials said the event will continue to be hosted at the AGDPES Gymnasium in Kabul, with matches expected to take place daily from 18:00 to 21:00.

Ariana Television Network (ATN), which recently secured exclusive broadcast rights for the league under a five-year agreement with the Afghanistan Wrestling Federation, will air the matches live across the country.

The inaugural season of the Afghanistan Wrestling Premier League is expected to feature around 350 wrestlers from across Afghanistan competing in 10 weight categories as part of 10 regional teams.

Organizers say preparations for the tournament are ongoing and that the postponement is intended to ensure better arrangements for teams, athletes and event operations ahead of the league’s launch.

The Wrestling Premier League is regarded as a major step toward creating a more structured national competition for wrestling in Afghanistan, one of the country’s most popular traditional sports.

Officials also hope the tournament will help provide greater exposure for Afghan wrestlers and contribute to the long-term development of the sport nationwide.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Ariana News. All rights reserved!