Latest News
Paktia man gets 25 years in prison for murder of daughter-in-law
A Paktia man has been sentenced to 25 years in prison after being found guilty of murdering his daughter-in-law.
Mohammad Rahim, was handed his sentence on Monday by the Paktia Provincial Court for killing his son’s wife Madina.
Rahim mainted throughout the proceedings that he was innocent and that Madina had committed suicide.
However, forensic evidence provided to the court concluded that she had been murdered.
During sentencing the presiding judge gave Rahim leave to appeal his sentencing.
This comes after the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) and the UN Human Rights Office stated Monday in a report that Afghan women and girls are being failed by the country’s justice system.
The report, titled, “In Search of Justice for Crimes of Violence Against Women and Girls,” examines the response of the justice system and assistance provided to survivors in reported cases of violence against women and girls in the period between September 2018 and February 2020.
The report acknowledged the response by the justice system to violence against women and girls continues to improve, but stated that progress has been limited.
“UNAMA found that only half of the reported crimes reached a primary court, with perpetrators convicted in around 40 percent of all documented cases,” a statement issued by the UN read.
Latest News
Azerbaijan sees strong prospects for cooperation with Afghanistan
Latest News
Qatari ambassador pledges support for restoring Afghanistan’s historical archives
Latest News
Afghan authorities warn companies over work visa fraud
Afghanistan’s Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs says it has summoned representatives of travel agencies over allegations of illegally issuing work visas to Turkey and other countries through black market networks.
According to the ministry, company officials were asked to provide written commitments stating that they would no longer collect money from people under the pretext of obtaining work visas and would fully cooperate with authorities in investigating public complaints.
The ministry also warned the companies against engaging in any illegal activities related to overseas employment visas and said action would be taken against violators.
At the same time, citizens were urged not to fall victim to fraud or false promises and to avoid handing over money or personal documents to unauthorized individuals or companies claiming to arrange foreign work visas.
-
Regional3 days agoRevised Iranian proposal to end war shared with US, Pakistani source says
-
Latest News4 days agoAfghanistan, China discuss Wakhan Corridor cooperation and future infrastructure projects
-
Sport4 days agoCanada aim for historic first World Cup win on home soil in 2026
-
Regional4 days agoPakistan deploys jet squadron, thousands of troops to Saudi Arabia during Iran war
-
Health5 days agoAfghanistan launches second nationwide polio vaccination campaign of 2026
-
Sport3 days agoMexico City Stadium to host opening match of FIFA World Cup 2026
-
World4 days agoChina to buy at least $17 billion in US agricultural products annually, White House says
-
Business4 days ago$2 million rice processing factory project launched in Baghlan province
