Latest News
IEA’s defense ministry slams military aircraft agreement between US and Uzbekistan
The Islamic Emirate said on Tuesday however that Washington and Tashkent’s decision was “unacceptable”.
The Ministry of Defense of the Islamic Emirate has slammed the decision of the United States and Uzbekistan over the non-return of military aircraft to Afghanistan.
Dozens of planes and helicopters have been in Uzbekistan since August 2021 when pilots from the former Afghan air force flew the aircraft to neighboring countries as they fled the country.
The Islamic Emirate said on Tuesday however that Washington and Tashkent’s decision was “unacceptable”.
According to a statement issued on Tuesday, the ministry said it has asked Uzbekistan to hand over the military aircraft, which include fighter planes and helicopters.
“Any kind of deal regarding the fate of Afghan helicopters and planes in Uzbekistan is unacceptable,” the statement read.
“The Ministry of National Defense clearly declares that the United States of America does not have the right to donate and confiscate the property of the Afghan people,” the statement added.
This comes after Jonathan Henick, the American ambassador to Tashkent, confirmed this week that the US and Uzbekistan had reached an agreement over the aircraft.
He said “these vehicles never belonged to the Afghans, they belonged to the US. The Afghan army used it, but we were always the owners.”
The agreement between Washington and Tashkent reportedly states that the aircraft will remain in Uzbekistan for now.
In response to this agreement, the Ministry of Defense said: “The government of Uzbekistan is expected to refrain from any kind of transaction in this relationship and take a wise decision in consideration of good neighborly relations and cooperate in handing over the planes of the Afghan Air Force.”
The Prosecutor’s Office of Uzbekistan had announced on August 15, 2021, that 22 military aircraft and 24 helicopters of the then Afghan armed forces violated Uzbek airspace and entered the country.
Among them were the Embraer EMB 314 Super Tucano, UH-60 Black Hawk, MD-530 and Mi-17 models.
The Islamic Emirate has however repeatedly called for the return of these aircraft, stating they belong to Afghanistan.
Latest News
Sirajuddin Haqqani travels to Bamyan after Panjshir visit
Sirajuddin Haqqani, the Minister of Interior Affairs, traveled to Bamyan province on Friday after visiting Panjshir and met with officials and a number of tribal elders who had come from various districts of the province.
Abdul Mateen Qani, spokesperson for the Ministry of Interior Affairs, said Haqqani described Afghanistan’s current security and stability as a major national asset and said that Afghanistan is the common home of all Afghans.
According to Qani, the Interior Minister added that divisions based on ethnicity, region and language were the result of hostile foreign efforts. However, he said Afghans are now moving toward strengthening unity, brotherhood and solidarity under a single system, and that maintaining the country’s security and stability is a shared responsibility of the government and the people.
Haqqani also held a separate meeting with Bamyan’s tribal elders and influential figures, listened to their views, suggestions and requests, and issued necessary instructions to the relevant officials to follow up on and resolve the issues raised.
Latest News
Bulgaria detains 35 Afghan migrants in passenger vehicle
Bulgaria’s state news agency BTA has reported that border police in the Malko Tarnovo area arrested 35 undocumented migrants, all Afghan nationals, from a passenger vehicle.
Bulgaria’s Interior Ministry said the migrants were arrested on August 18.
According to officials, the 22-year-old driver of the vehicle, who is a resident of North Macedonia, was also arrested by police.
The report said Bulgarian police operations against illegal migration have expanded in recent months.
Earlier in August, 20 undocumented migrants and their driver were also arrested in the area of the Ropotamo River, near the city of Burgas.
Previously, in mid-June, 32 migrants and a guide accompanying them were arrested in the Poda area, near Burgas.
Bulgarian border police said that under new regulations, undocumented migrants apprehended at the country’s external borders are held in special facilities for up to seven days before being transferred to migrant detention centers.
Latest News
Girls’ education key to IEA’s international legitimacy, says Karzai
Karzai, who led Afghanistan for nearly 13 years after the fall of the first IEA’s government in 2001, said some IEA officials understand and agree with his concerns.
Former Afghan President Hamid Karzai has said the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (IEA) will struggle to gain broader international legitimacy unless it reverses restrictions on girls’ education and women’s employment.
Speaking in an interview with Bloomberg’s The Mishal Husain Show, Karzai said he had repeatedly urged IEA’s officials to reopen schools and universities to girls and allow women to return to work.
“I’ve been repeatedly speaking to them and telling them of the importance of education for Afghanistan, of the importance of Afghan women, half the society, getting back to work,” Karzai said.
Karzai, who led Afghanistan for nearly 13 years after the fall of the first IEA’s government in 2001, said some IEA officials understand and agree with his concerns.
He argued that international recognition and legitimacy depend on meeting certain conditions, particularly restoring girls’ access to education and women’s participation in the workforce.
Since returning to power in August 2021, the IEA has barred girls from secondary schools and universities and imposed sweeping restrictions on women’s employment, movement and dress.
The restrictions have drawn repeated condemnation from the United Nations and Western governments, which have made improvements in women’s rights a key condition for normalising relations with the IEA.
According to the United Nations, about 3.8 million Afghan girls are currently out of school. The restrictions on women’s education and employment are also estimated to cost Afghanistan billions of afghanis each year.
Despite international pressure and several rounds of talks, including meetings in Oslo and Doha, the IEA has so far shown no indication of reversing the education bans.
Karzai also warned about the wider humanitarian and economic challenges facing Afghanistan. The United Nations estimates that 21.9 million people—around 45 percent of the population—will require humanitarian assistance in 2026.
The return of millions of Afghans from neighbouring Iran and Pakistan has added further pressure to the country’s already fragile humanitarian situation.
The Islamic Emirate has previously said that the issue of girls’ education is an internal issue in Afghanistan and efforts are being made to resolve it.
-
Latest News4 days agoJuma Khan Fateh surrenders to IEA forces in Badakhshan
-
Latest News4 days agoBlast at Kabul school injures at least 52
-
Latest News4 days agoChina’s special envoy for Afghanistan visits Türkiye, Pakistan and Afghanistan
-
Latest News5 days agoAfghanistan received more than $11 billion in humanitarian aid over the past five years
-
Latest News3 days agoIndian and Serbian officials attend August 15 event at Afghan Embassy in Delhi
-
Sport4 days agoDarwish Rasooli named captain as Afghanistan unveil Asian Games squad
-
World4 days agoTrump wants more economic pressure on Iran
-
Health4 days agoPolio vaccination campaign set to roll out in five Afghan provinces amid new cases
