Connect with us

Latest News

Former Afghan king’s Mercedes-Benz wins top prize at US car show

Published

on

A spectacular Mercedes-Benz 540 K Special Roadster, first owned by Afghanistan’s former king Zahir Shahwon the coveted title of ‘Best of Show’ at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance car show in the US.

This 540 K Special Roadster was ordered in May 1937 by Mohammed Zahir Shah, then king of Afghanistan. It was delivered in September and owned by the king until he gifted it to his son-in-law in the UK in 1950. It was then sold to a US collector in 195. The current owner, Jim Patterson, a US collector, bought the car for $9.9 million at an auction during last year’s Pebble Beach event, Carscoops reported.

“The 540 K Special Roadster winning the ‘Best of Showʼ title at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance crowns the immense commitment of RM Auto Restoration and Mercedes-Benz Heritage to the restoration of this outstanding vehicle,” Mercedes-Benz Heritage boss Marcus Breitschwerdt said after the win. “We are proud to have contributed to this success story with the unique expertise of our Classic Center and the archives. The intensive and good cooperation with RM Auto Restoration during the past months has made this success possible.”

The Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance is an annual automotive event held in California. It is widely considered the most prestigious car show in the world.

Mercedes-Benz 540 K Special Roadster is the 10th Mercedes-Benz to take out the prestigious award that has been given every year since 1950.

King Mohammad Zahir Shah reigned in Afghanistan for 40 years during 1933-1973.

Latest News

Sirajuddin Haqqani visits Panjshir, meets tribal elders and influential figures

Published

on

Interior Minister Sirajuddin Haqqani visited Panjshir province on Thursday and met with tribal elders and influential figures from various districts at the provincial governor’s office.

The Ministry of Interior said the participants raised their concerns, demands and suggestions with Haqqani during the meeting.

According to the ministry, Haqqani listened to their concerns and instructed relevant officials to take necessary steps to address the issues raised.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Iran executes Afghan man over charges related to January protests

Published

on

Iran ‌executed an Afghan man on ​Thursday ​over charges related to ⁠January’s ​nationwide protests, ​local media reported.

The Hengaw Organization for Human Rights identified ​the person ​as Qaem Hosseini, ‌a 20-year-old Afghan national.

Iran’s state media said he ​took ​part ⁠in events that ​led to ​the ⁠killing of security ⁠force ​members ​during the protests.

He was accused of taking part in events on January 8, 2026, at Alikhani Square in Isfahan, during which four Iranian security forces were killed.

Hosseini is the fifth defendant in the case to be executed. Four other defendants, including his cousin Gol Mohammad Mohammadi, had previously been executed.

Continue Reading

Latest News

US in talks over resettlement of Afghan refugees in Qatar to third countries

Published

on

More than 1,000 Afghans who were evacuated to a U.S. military facility in Qatar following the Islamic Emirate’s return to power in 2021 remain in limbo, with no clear path to the United States, NPR reports.

The Afghans have been staying at Camp As Sayliyah after being airlifted out of Afghanistan during the final days of the U.S. war. Some have been there for more than a year while waiting for a decision on their future.

The U.S. State Department told NPR that negotiations are continuing over where the Afghans could be resettled.

“A third country is a positive resolution that provides safety for these remaining people to start a new life outside Afghanistan while upholding the safety and security of the American people,” the U.S. State Department said in an email to NPR.

The situation at the camp has become more difficult amid the war in the Gulf. Sean Jamshidi, a former U.S. Marine, told NPR that missiles were launched during the conflict and debris fell near the camp, including fragments that entered the building where his family members were staying.

U.S. veterans and lawmakers have also called on Washington to protect Afghans who supported American forces. Republican Congressman Don Bacon, a retired brigadier general, said the United States has a “moral obligation” to people who served alongside its troops and that promises made to them should be kept.

There have also been reports that some of the Afghans could be sent to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The Islamic Emirate has said that Afghanistan is the shared homeland of all Afghans, stressing that returnees can come back with “full confidence and peace of mind.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2026 Ariana News. All rights reserved!