Connect with us

World

N. Korea says it tested a new solid-fuel ICBM, warns of ‘extreme’ horror

Published

on

North Korea said on Friday it had tested a new solid-fuel intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), the Hwasong-18, to “radically promote” the country’s nuclear counterattack capability, state media reported.

Leader Kim Jong Un guided the test, and warned it would make enemies “experience a clearer security crisis, and constantly strike extreme uneasiness and horror into them by taking fatal and offensive counter-actions until they abandon their senseless thinking and reckless acts”.

North Korea has criticised recent U.S.-South Korean joint military exercises as escalating tensions, and has stepped up weapons tests in recent months.

South Korea’s defence ministry said North Korea was still developing the weapon, and that it needed more time and effort to master the technology, indicating that Pyongyang might carry out more tests.

North Korean state media outlet KCNA released photos of Kim watching the launch, accompanied by his wife, sister and daughter, and the missile covered in camouflage nets on a mobile launcher.

“The development of the new-type ICBM Hwasongpho-18 will extensively reform the strategic deterrence components of the DPRK, radically promote the effectiveness of its nuclear counterattack posture and bring about a change in the practicality of its offensive military strategy,” KCNA said, using the initials of its official name.

“Pho” means “artillery” in Korean.

Analysts said it is the North’s first use of solid propellants in an intermediate-range or intercontinental ballistic missile.

Developing a solid-fuel ICBM has long been seen as a key goal for North Korea, as it could help the North deploy missiles faster during a war.

Most of the country’s largest ballistic missiles use liquid fuel, which requires them to be loaded with propellant at their launch site – a time-consuming and dangerous process.

“For any country that operates large-scale, missile based nuclear forces, solid-propellant missiles are incredibly desirable capability because they don’t need to be fuelled immediately prior to use,” said Ankit Panda, a senior fellow at the U.S.-based Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. “These capabilities are much more responsive in a time of crisis.”

North Korea will most keep some liquid-fuel systems, complicating the calculations of the U.S. and its allies during a conflict, Panda said.

Vann Van Diepen, a former U.S. government weapons expert who now works with the 38 North project, said solid-fuel missiles are easier and safer to operate, and require less logistical support – making them harder to detect and more survivable than liquids.

North Korea first displayed what could be a new solid-fuel ICBM during a military parade in February after testing a high-thrust solid-fuel engine in December.

Analysts said the U.S. could determine between a solid- or liquid-fuelled launch with early warning satellites that can detect differences in the infrared data produced by various missile types.

The latest launch came days after Kim called for strengthening war deterrence in a “more practical and offensive” manner to counter what North Korea called moves of aggression by the United States.

The missile, fired from near Pyongyang, flew about 1,000 km (620 miles) before landing in waters east of North Korea, officials said. North Korea said the test posed no threats to its neighbouring countries.

A South Korean military official said the missile’s maximum altitude was lower than 6,000 km, the apogee of some of last year’s record-breaking tests.

“North Korea could have opted to focus on collecting data necessary to check its features at different stages than going full speed at the first launch,” said Kim Dong-yup, a professor at the University of North Korean Studies. “As it was a test that did not demonstrate its normal flight pattern, North Korea will likely conduct some more tests.”

World

Gaza mediators say latest Israeli strikes undermine efforts to end conflict at critical stage

At least 1,283 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since the ceasefire took effect last October, according to Gazan health ⁠officials.

Published

on

Turkey, Egypt and Qatar, which have been trying to mediate an end ​to the Gaza conflict, condemned recent Israeli strikes in ‌the Palestinian enclave, urging Israel to meet its ceasefire obligations and avoid steps that could escalate tension.

Their joint statement followed Israeli strikes that have killed at ​least 16 Palestinians in Gaza since Tuesday, according to ​medics; Israel says it is targeting Hamas militants. U.S. envoy ⁠Jared Kushner wrapped up a regional visit on Monday without advancing President ​Donald Trump’s plan to end the war.

“The intensification of Israeli attacks ​undermines regional and international efforts at a critical juncture, as intensive efforts are under way to implement the Comprehensive Plan to End the Gaza Conflict,” ​they said.

The international community and Trump’s Board of Peace, which is ​overseeing the ceasefire, must take the necessary steps to ensure compliance and prevent ‌further ⁠escalation, they added.

A proposed roadmap envisaged Hamas giving up its weapons in phases as Israeli forces withdrew from Gaza and halted military operations. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected that sequencing, insisting ​that Hamas must ​fully disarm before ⁠an Israeli withdrawal.

Hamas has demanded that Israel adhere to the ceasefire and withdraw its forces from ​Gaza. Hamas has also disputed the sequencing of how ​Trump’s ⁠plan should be implemented.

At least 1,283 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since the ceasefire took effect last October, according to Gazan health ⁠officials, ​while the Israeli military says four Israeli ​soldiers have been killed.

Continue Reading

World

Trump says no talks planned with Iran, Tehran says Strait of Hormuz still shut

Despite Trump’s assertions that the situation in the Gulf was improving, countries continued to report attempts to disrupt shipping.

Published

on

U.S. ​President Donald Trump said on Tuesday no talks were taking place with Iran and insisted the Strait of Hormuz was open, contradicting Iran’s assertion that the critical waterway remained shut to ‌shipping.

The receding prospects of a deal to end the nearly six-month conflict drove up oil prices again on Tuesday, while stock markets sagged and borrowing costs for major economies including the U.S. hit multi-decade highs, amid concerns about the long-term inflationary and fiscal impact of the crisis.

A temporary ceasefire agreement expired on Monday and a senior Iranian official told Reuters that his country was moving to a “fully offensive” military posture due to the diplomatic stalemate, though there were no reports of fresh strikes by either side on Tuesday.

“There are no talks or conversations ​going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social.

“The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water ​mines have been removed or detonated,” he added.

On Monday, Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and special envoy, had struck an upbeat tone, saying talks with Iran were still under way ⁠and were “probably more robust” than they had ever been.

The nearly six-month conflict, which began with joint U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iran, has settled into a standoff, with Iran continuing to threaten shipping in the strait and Washington saying ​it could renew attacks if talks do not yield a long-term settlement.

Among the top U.S. goals are preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, but experts say that will be difficult without removing the enriched uranium believed to be ​buried at sites struck by the U.S. military previously.

SHIPPING DISRUPTED

Despite Trump’s assertions that the situation in the Gulf was improving, countries continued to report attempts to disrupt shipping.

The United Arab Emirates’ Defense Ministry said that it detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran, the first such incident reported since a May 4 strike on the Fujairah port.

It later reported that the missiles were targeting “maritime traffic” based on its assessments, according to a statement posted on X. It said both missiles fell into the sea.

Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei rejected ​the comments and said the UAE’s “accusations” were “baseless.”

The UAE Foreign Ministry said it had suspended all trade activities, exchanges and financial transactions with Iran until further notice, citing regional escalation that it said undermined regional and international peace ​and security.

Direct cargo shipping between the UAE and Iran had only resumed in late June via Dubai’s Jebel Ali Port. The UAE had suspended direct shipping in early March, just days after the war began.

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations said it ‌received a report ⁠on Tuesday that a vessel was struck by an unknown projectile while sailing out through the Strait of Hormuz, causing engine room damage and a crew casualty.

The Omani Coast Guard was assisting the remaining crew, according to the report. There was no immediate comment from Tehran.

Preliminary shipping data on Tuesday showed ship crossings via the Strait of Hormuz were still in single digits on Monday.

Top Iranian negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said in comments published by state media that the strait would remain shut until the U.S. met the conditions of an interim deal signed with Iran in June.

These conditions include the U.S. ending its blockade of Iranian ports, lifting oil sanctions, releasing Tehran’s frozen assets, and ending threats and military operations on all ​fronts, Qalibaf told parliament.

A memorandum of understanding signed on June 17 ​had set a 60-day time frame for a broader ⁠deal on Iran’s nuclear programme and U.S. sanctions. That period elapsed on Monday and Trump said he had no plans to extend it.

The agreement, which declared the “immediate and permanent termination of military operations on all fronts,” had quickly unravelled over a dispute about control of the Strait of Hormuz, the narrow waterway through which a fifth of global ​oil and liquefied natural gas flowed before the war.

IRAN SAYS IT STILL OPEN TO TALKS

Iran remains open to dialogue with the U.S. but does not confuse negotiations ​with surrender, Mohammad Mokhber, an ⁠adviser to Iran’s supreme leader, said on Tuesday, according to the semi-official Fars news agency.

Mokhber said military pressure and sanctions would not break Iran’s resolve and that the country would defend its security, dignity and allies while not seeking war.

Even as Iran projects resilience in the war, its leaders are worried that a threat of more economic punishment could increase hardships, reignite unrest and further erode the Islamic Republic’s legitimacy, according to three Iranian officials.

Thousands of people have been killed in the conflict, ⁠mainly in Iran ​and Lebanon. Iran has struck U.S. military bases and infrastructure in countries including Oman, Jordan, Kuwait, Israel, the United Arab Emirates and ​Saudi Arabia.

Benchmark Brent crude oil futures have surged during the conflict, hitting a peak of $126 a barrel, roughly 75% above pre-war levels. Brent crude futures settled up 20 cents on Tuesday at just over $91 a barrel.

A U.S. administration official reiterated warnings that Washington could go further on ​hitting Iran’s economy following multiple sanctions actions.

“There are many levers the president can crank harder in the weeks and months ahead.”

Continue Reading

World

Erdogan urges Trump to pursue talks with Iran, offers support

Turkey has criticised the U.S. and Israeli assault on Iran, while also condemning the Iranian attacks on Gulf states and calling for the re-opening of the strategic strait.

Published

on

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan urged U.S. President Donald Trump in a phone call to pursue talks with Iran to de-escalate ​tensions between the two countries, and offered Ankara’s support for peace ‌efforts, the Turkish presidency said on Tuesday.

Turkey, which has NATO’s second-largest army and borders Iran, has repeatedly called for an end to the war. It has maintained close contact with the ​United States, Iran, and mediators such as Pakistan and Qatar, while also acting as ​an intermediary between the parties, Reuters reported.

“Erdogan stated that it is of great ⁠importance to make the utmost of diplomacy regarding the tensions between Iran and ​the United States, that we hope the talks will continue, and that Turkey ​will continue to support peace efforts,” the presidency said in a statement.

The call comes after a senior Iranian official told Reuters earlier on Monday that Iran would shift to a “fully offensive” military ​posture because efforts to negotiate a permanent end to the war have stalled, ​as Washington ruled out extending a temporary ceasefire agreement.

Progress towards a resumption of oil tanker ‌traffic through ⁠the Strait of Hormuz has also stalled.

Turkey has criticised the U.S. and Israeli assault on Iran, while also condemning the Iranian attacks on Gulf states and calling for the re-opening of the strategic strait.

On Monday, Turkey’s foreign minister discussed the strait’s ​re-opening and the continuation ​of the ceasefire ⁠with his Iranian counterpart.

The presidency added that Erdogan and Trump also discussed bilateral ties, the war in Gaza, and a defence ​pact signed between Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan, adding that ​the Turkish ⁠leader praised the accord as a sign of a “strong stance” for regional stability and security.

It said Erdogan told Trump that Israel’s attacks on Palestinians had increased at a time ⁠when the ​second phase of Trump’s Gaza Peace Plan was ​supposed to come into effect.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment on ​the call.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2026 Ariana News. All rights reserved!