Connect with us

Regional

Wife of Pakistan’s Imran Khan, charged with graft, is known for spirituality

Published

on

Bushra Khan, the wife of Pakistan’s former Prime Minister Imran Khan, is facing corruption charges in the same case that led to his arrest on May 9. On Monday, he accompanied her to a court that granted her protective bail, Reuters reported.

She is known for her spirituality and devotion to Sufism, a mystical form of Islam. Khan, 70, has often called Bushra his spiritual leader.

Born Bushra Riaz Watto, she changed her name to Khan after her marriage. Her husband and followers commonly refer to her as Bushra Bibi or Bushra Begum, titles that in Urdu denote respect.

She has kept a low profile since her marriage to Khan, a former cricket hero who has been in the public eye for decades.

Below are some facts about Bushra:

EARLY LIFE

Bushra, who is in her late 40s, hails from a family of landowners in Punjab. Little is known about her early life. Her first marriage, which lasted about 30 years, was to Khawar Farid Maneka, a customs officer from a politically influential Punjab family. After their divorce in 2018 he was quoted by Pakistani media as saying: “I want to clearly state about my former wife, Bushra Bibi, that I have not seen a woman as pious as her in the world”.

Bushra and Maneka have five children, Reuters reported.

MYSTIC, SECRET MARRIAGE

Both Bushra and ex-husband Maneka are devotees of Fariduddin Masud Ganjshakar, or Baba Farid, a revered Muslim mystic and Sufi saint whose shrine is located in Maneka’s hometown of Pakpattan in Punjab.

Pakistanis who admire Bushra’s devotion to the saint call her a spiritual leader while Khan’s opponents accuse her of practicing sorcery, a claim Khan’s aides have repeatedly denied. In a rare interview, Bushra told local HUM news network in 2018 that “people would come to see me to get closer to God and the Prophet”.

It was not clear when or how Khan met Bushra, but former aide Aun Chaudhry said Khan was very impressed with her spirituality.

Khan, who had acquired a playboy image in the 1990s as his cricket career took off, has previously said he was keenly interested in Sufism.

Khan and Bushra married in 2018, seven months before he was elected prime minister, in a secret ceremony. The marriage was Khan’s third after Jemima Goldsmith, daughter of business tycoon James Goldsmith, and TV journalist Reham Nayyar Khan. Both these marriages ended in divorce.

SPIRITUAL JOURNEY

A few months before Khan was elected prime minister, local media carried photos of the couple prostrating at the Baba Farid shrine. In the HUM interview, Bushra said: “Every moment of Khan sahib’s life is now dedicated to God, the Prophet and the love for Baba Farid”.

Bushra, who is always seen in public wearing a veil and a burqa that shows only her eyes, did not accompany her husband on any official overseas trips during his time in office except for visits to Saudi Arabia, where they were filmed at the holy Muslim cities of Mecca and Medina.

AL-QADIR TRUST

Members of Khan’s party, the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, have said Bushra inspired Khan to set up Al-Qadir Trust, a non-governmental welfare organisation that runs a university outside Islamabad devoted to spirituality and Islamic teachings.

The trust is part of the corruption charges levied against the couple. While prime minister, Khan promoted the trust at official events, and the couple are the sole trustees, according to Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar.

Khan’s party spokesman Farrukh Habib told Reuters the case was politically motivated and that the couple draw no financial benefit from the trust, read the report.

Regional

Seven killed in temple stampede in India 

WATCH VIDEO. Reports said tens of thousands of people had gathered at Ashok Dham, with some estimates putting the crowd at around 50,000.

Published

on

At least seven people were killed and 19 others injured in a stampede at the Ashok Dham temple in Bihar’s Lakhisarai district on Monday, as thousands of devotees gathered for prayers during the holy Hindu month of Shravan.

The victims were reportedly all women. 

The incident occurred during the third Monday of Shravan, when large numbers of devotees visit Shiva temples to offer holy water to Lord Shiva. Reports said tens of thousands of people had gathered at Ashok Dham, with some estimates putting the crowd at around 50,000.

Authorities said overcrowding appears to have played a major role. Lakhisarai District Magistrate Shailendra Kumar said a barricade broke under pressure from the crowd, causing people to fall on one another. The arrival of two trains reportedly contributed to a sudden increase in the number of devotees at the site.

A senior police officer, Shivam Kumar, said an electric pole fell during the incident, triggering panic. Officials have stressed that the exact sequence of events and cause of the stampede will be established through an investigation. Some reports said rumours of a live electrical wire may have intensified the panic, but this has not been independently confirmed.

The injured were taken to nearby hospitals for treatment, while police and emergency teams were deployed at the temple and surrounding areas.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his condolences to the families of those killed and wished the injured a speedy recovery. Bihar Chief Minister Samrat Choudhary also expressed grief and directed authorities to ensure prompt medical treatment for the injured. President Droupadi Murmu also mourned the deaths.

The incident has renewed concerns about crowd management and safety arrangements at major religious gatherings in India. In March, nine people were killed in a separate stampede at a temple in Bihar’s Nalanda district.

Authorities are continuing to investigate the incident and determine whether further safety measures could have prevented the tragedy.

Continue Reading

Regional

Qatar denies detaining Iranian pilots, says it found remains of one

The spokesperson said Tehran had ​yet to respond ​to ⁠an invitation to review details of ⁠its ​operations.

Published

on

Qatar denied on Saturday that it ​was holding Iranian pilots, ‌saying they had violated Qatari airspace earlier ​this year and ​had failed to respond ⁠to attempts to ​contact them.

A Qatari ​foreign ministry spokesperson said on X that search and ​rescue teams ​later found the remains of ‌one ⁠of the pilots and that it had contacted Iran to ​coordinate ​a ⁠handover.

The spokesperson said Tehran had ​yet to respond ​to ⁠an invitation to review details of ⁠its ​operations.

Continue Reading

Regional

Turkey lays out plans for defence pact with Pakistan and Saudi Arabia

Turkey, which ​has NATO’s ⁠second-largest army, has said the pact with nuclear-armed Pakistan and top oil exporter Saudi Arabia was open to expansion.

Published

on

Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan will group senior ministers, hold ‌joint exercises and deepen defence industry cooperation under a military pact signed between the regional powers last week, Turkey’s defence ministry said on Thursday.

The three Sunni Muslim U.S. allies, alarmed by ​a regional conflagration that has brought Iranian missile fire onto Gulf ​oil exporters, signed the “Mecca Joint Defence Agreement” on August 7. They ⁠said the accord stipulates that an armed attack against any member would be ​regarded as an attack on all, similar to NATO’s Article 5 collective defence clause, Reuters reported.

At a ​weekly briefing in Ankara, the defence ministry said the pact’s fundamental goal was to ensure defence and military ties were put on a “more institutional and sustainable” footing.

“Under the accord, strategic political ​and military mechanisms plan to be established involving the Defence Ministers, Foreign Ministers, ​and Chiefs of General Staff/Armed Forces Commanders, and that coordination among the three countries will ‌be conducted ⁠at the highest level,” it said.

The ministry added that joint military exercises involving land, naval, and air forces, as well as air defence and unmanned systems were planned, in addition to deeper defence industry cooperation.

“The aim is to provide not ​only product and system ​supply, but also ⁠joint development and production, technology cooperation, and sustainable maintenance and logistics support,” it said, adding that unmanned and autonomous systems, ​electronic warfare and artificial intelligence capabilities would be prioritised.

Turkey, which ​has NATO’s ⁠second-largest army, has said the pact with nuclear-armed Pakistan and top oil exporter Saudi Arabia was open to expansion — with Egypt as a potential candidate — and did not ⁠seek ​to replace any existing alliances, read the report.

The ministry also said ​Turkey was participating in meetings in Jeddah aimed at establishing an international coalition to protect Red Sea shipping.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2026 Ariana News. All rights reserved!