Latest News
AGO Strictly Warns Defendants of Kabul Bank Scandal
The Attorney General’s Office (AGO) has strictly warned the perpetrators of Kabul Bank crises to attend the court hearing session or the verdict would be announce in their absence.
Kabul Bank, Afghanistan’s first private financial institution, collapsed in 2010 after its shareholders took more than $900 million dollars out from the country.
Despite many efforts during the last three years, only 200 million have been recovered while the rest of money is still missing.
President Ashraf Ghani Ahmadzai, however, in the first week of his government decided to reopen the Kabul Bank scandal case and asked the Attorney General to finalize the case within 45 days. Three weeks have been passed since the Presidential decree but only 7 out of 21 perpetrators have been arrested so far.
However, the Attorney General Muhammad Ishaq Aloko called on the defendants Saturday to attend the hearing in order to avoid harsher punishment to them.
He accused the former head of Kabul Bank, Qadeer Fitrat, as the main perpetrator of bank’s historical crises.
Latest News
Deadly shooting near Kabul’s Sarai Shahzada leaves four dead
Spokesman for the Kabul Police Command, said the incident took place at around 2 p.m. near the busy currency exchange market in central Kabul.
Four people were killed in a deadly armed clash near Kabul’s Sarai Shahzada market (currency exchange market) on Sunday afternoon, Kabul police confirmed.
Khalid Zadran, spokesman for the Kabul Police Command, said the incident took place at around 2 p.m. near the busy currency exchange market in central Kabul.
According to Zadran, those killed included the son of former jihadi commander Allah Gul Mujahid, his bodyguard, a civilian woman and another civilian man.
He added that two individuals have been arrested in connection with the incident. One suspect from the opposing side was detained while injured, while a nephew of Allah Gul Mujahid has also been taken into custody.
Preliminary investigations indicate that the shooting stemmed from a personal dispute, although police say investigations are still ongoing.
Latest News
Major pharma firms eye investment in Afghanistan
Several major international pharmaceutical companies could invest in medicine production in Afghanistan as part of growing cooperation between UN agencies and Afghan authorities, who hope to strengthen the country’s healthcare system.
The development was highlighted during a meeting between Afghanistan’s Minister of Economy, Din Mohammad Hanif, and UNICEF Representative Tajudeen Oyewale, where discussions focused heavily on improving healthcare access and expanding pharmaceutical capacity.
UNICEF officials indicated that several global drug manufacturers are preparing to coordinate with Afghanistan’s Ministry of Public Health on establishing or supporting local medicine production.
The aim is to improve the availability of essential medicines for humanitarian operations while also strengthening supply in domestic markets.
The proposed investments are expected to reduce Afghanistan’s reliance on imported pharmaceuticals and improve access to essential treatments, particularly in areas affected by economic hardship and ongoing humanitarian needs.
Alongside the pharmaceutical plans, UNICEF reaffirmed its continued commitment to humanitarian assistance in Afghanistan, including programmes addressing food insecurity, climate-related pressures, and support for returning migrants.
According to figures discussed in the meeting, $520 million has been requested from international donors to support returnees. Of this, $100 million is allocated for emergency assistance, while $420 million is intended for longer-term resettlement and reintegration support.
Afghan authorities welcomed the prospect of expanded pharmaceutical investment, with Din Mohammad Hanif stressing the importance of development cooperation, job creation, and increased international engagement to support economic stability.
Officials said strengthening the pharmaceutical sector could become a key pillar in Afghanistan’s broader efforts to improve healthcare resilience and move toward greater self-sufficiency in essential medical supplies.
Health
UNFPA: Afghanistan has world’s fifth-highest number of obstetric fistula cases
United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) Afghanistan says the country has the world’s fifth-highest number of obstetric fistula cases, with an estimated 15,000 women and girls suffering from the childbirth-related injury.
In a post on X, UNFPA Afghanistan said obstetric fistula continues to cause disability and social isolation for thousands of Afghan women and girls.
The agency stressed that preventing and treating the condition requires access to healthcare services, safe surgical procedures, and essential medical supplies.
Obstetric fistula is a serious childbirth injury that usually occurs after prolonged or obstructed labor without timely medical care. The condition can lead to chronic health complications and often leaves affected women facing stigma and exclusion from their communities.
-
Latest News4 days agoIndia announce squads for Afghanistan Test and ODI series
-
Latest News4 days agoMullah Baradar launches $150 million Lajward residential complex in Balkh
-
Latest News4 days agoFazlur Rehman says Pakistan’s Afghanistan policy has failed
-
Sport2 days agoMohammadi crowned champion of 2nd season of Ariana Snooker Championship
-
Business3 days agoKabul, Tashkent push industrial cooperation with planned factory transfers
-
Regional4 days agoBritish woman detained in Iran resumes hunger strike alongside husband
-
World5 days agoUS Senate advances measure curbing Trump’s Iran war powers
-
Tahawol5 days agoTahawol: Reason for postponing US attack on Iran reviewed

