Saar: US diplomat’s trip to Qatar, Pakistan on Afghanistan discussed
Regional
At least 24 killed in deadly train bombing in Pakistan’s Balochistan
The blast occurred shortly after 8am near the Chaman Phatak area of Quetta as the train was travelling from a military zone toward the city’s main railway station.
At least 24 people were killed and nearly 70 injured after a powerful explosion targeted a train carrying military personnel in Balochistan province on Sunday morning, according to officials and local media reports.
The blast occurred shortly after 8am near the Chaman Phatak area of Quetta as the train was travelling from a military zone toward the city’s main railway station.
Authorities said the explosion caused severe damage to the railway track and partially damaged the train. Three coaches, including the locomotive, were derailed while two overturned following the blast.
The impact of the explosion was reportedly heard across Quetta and shattered windows and glass panels in nearby buildings. Several vehicles parked near the scene caught fire, with at least 10 vehicles damaged in the blast. Material damage was also reported in surrounding homes and buildings.
Emergency rescue teams, firefighters and security forces rushed to the scene soon after the attack, cordoning off the area and launching rescue and recovery operations. Firefighters worked to contain flames that spread to nearby vehicles after the explosion.
Authorities later declared an emergency in government hospitals across Quetta, with doctors and medical staff placed on high alert to treat the large number of injured victims.
The separatist militant group Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) claimed responsibility for the attack. In a statement, the group said its Majeed Brigade, described as its suicide attack wing, had targeted security personnel travelling from Quetta Cantonment in what it called a “well-planned fidayee attack”.
The group said further details regarding casualties and damage would be released later.
Following the attack, the Peshawar-bound Jaffar Express was halted at Quetta Railway Station as a precautionary measure.
Pakistan Railways Minister Hanif Abbasi condemned the bombing, describing it as a cowardly act of terrorism aimed at spreading fear and chaos in the country.
Abbasi alleged that anti-Pakistan elements based in India and Afghanistan were involved in attempts to destabilize Pakistan through such attacks. He said railway operations would continue despite the incident and vowed that those responsible would face justice.
Babar Yousafzai, spokesperson for Pakistan’s interior ministry, said all relevant institutions had been placed on high alert following the explosion. He urged residents to avoid gathering near the blast site to allow emergency teams to carry out rescue operations safely.
Counter-terrorism teams and explosives experts later arrived at the scene to begin technical investigations into the nature of the explosive device and identify those responsible.
The bombing is one of the deadliest incidents reported in Balochistan in recent months. The province has long faced insurgent violence, with separatist groups frequently targeting security forces, transport infrastructure and government installations.
Health
UNFPA: Afghanistan has world’s fifth-highest number of obstetric fistula cases
United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) Afghanistan says the country has the world’s fifth-highest number of obstetric fistula cases, with an estimated 15,000 women and girls suffering from the childbirth-related injury.
In a post on X, UNFPA Afghanistan said obstetric fistula continues to cause disability and social isolation for thousands of Afghan women and girls.
The agency stressed that preventing and treating the condition requires access to healthcare services, safe surgical procedures, and essential medical supplies.
Obstetric fistula is a serious childbirth injury that usually occurs after prolonged or obstructed labor without timely medical care. The condition can lead to chronic health complications and often leaves affected women facing stigma and exclusion from their communities.
International Sports
Debutants and returning nations ready to make history at FIFA World Cup 2026
One of the tournament’s most remarkable stories belongs to Curaçao, which will become the smallest nation ever to compete at a FIFA World Cup.
In just 18 days, the 2026 FIFA World Cup is set to usher in a new era of international football, with several nations preparing to make history when the tournament kicks off across the United States, Canada and Mexico next month.
For the first time, the World Cup will feature 48 teams, opening the door for emerging football nations to reach the global stage.
Among the biggest stories of the tournament are the debut appearances of Cabo Verde, Curaçao, Jordan and Uzbekistan, all of whom have qualified for the finals for the very first time.
The expanded tournament format has created new opportunities for smaller and developing football nations, adding fresh excitement and unpredictability to football’s biggest spectacle.
One of the tournament’s most remarkable stories belongs to Curaçao, which will become the smallest nation ever to compete at a FIFA World Cup.
The Caribbean side, with a population of around 150,000, secured qualification after an impressive unbeaten campaign under experienced coach Dick Advocaat. Players such as Leandro Bacuna, Tahith Chong and Eloy Room are expected to play key roles for the newcomers.
Meanwhile, Cabo Verde completed a historic qualification run after stunning victories over Cameroon during qualifying. Led by veteran captain Ryan Mendes, the island nation has emerged as one of Africa’s most inspiring underdog stories heading into the tournament.
From Asia, both Jordan and Uzbekistan will make their World Cup debuts after impressive qualifying campaigns. Jordan’s rise has been driven by stars such as Mousa Al-Tamari and Yazan Al-Naimat, while Uzbekistan finally ended years of near-misses to secure qualification with a talented squad featuring Abdukodir Khusanov and striker Eldor Shomurodov. Former Italy World Cup-winning captain Fabio Cannavaro has also added valuable experience from the technical area.
Several other nations are returning to the World Cup after lengthy absences. Norway are back for the first time since 1998, inspired by Manchester City striker Erling Haaland and Arsenal captain Martin Ødegaard. Scotland and Austria also return after missing multiple editions of the tournament.
Elsewhere, Haiti return for the first time since 1974, while Iraq are back after a 40-year absence. Türkiye will feature at the finals for the first time since their memorable third-place finish in 2002, while Democratic Republic of the Congo return to the tournament for the first time since competing as Zaire in 1974.
The 2026 FIFA World Cup will run from June 11 to July 19 and is expected to be the biggest edition of the tournament in history, featuring a record 104 matches across 16 host cities.
-
Sport5 days agoMexico City Stadium to host opening match of FIFA World Cup 2026
-
Latest News4 days agoIndia announce squads for Afghanistan Test and ODI series
-
Latest News5 days agoUK envoy highlights importance of Afghanistan-Pakistan relations and women’s inclusion
-
Business5 days agoAfghanistan’s domestic pharmaceutical production sees major growth: Mullah Baradar
-
Latest News4 days agoMullah Baradar launches $150 million Lajward residential complex in Balkh
-
Climate Change5 days agoAfghanistan climate and housing challenges highlighted at World Urban Forum in Baku
-
Latest News4 days agoFazlur Rehman says Pakistan’s Afghanistan policy has failed
-
World5 days agoSan Diego mosque security guard hailed as hero after deadly shooting
