Connect with us

Latest News

104 cargo loads of US military equipment flown out of Afghanistan

Published

on

US forces in Afghanistan have moved about 104 cargo loads of equipment out of the country so far and have turned over more than 1,800 items of gear for destruction, US Central Command said on Tuesday.

CENTCOM said in a statement that since President Joe Biden’s decision to fully withdraw all military personnel from Afghanistan “the US has retrograded the equivalent of approximately 104 C-17 [military cargo plane] loads of material out of Afghanistan and have turned over more than 1,800 pieces of equipment to the Defense Logistics Agency for destruction.”

CENTCOM stated the US has also officially handed over one facility to the Afghan National Army.

The statement also noted that CENTCOM estimates it has completed between six to 12 percent of the entire retrograde process.

The statement noted: “For operational security reasons we will only be providing an approximate range of the percentage of the exit process that is complete. As the responsible and orderly exit continues, the size of the range will increase to preserve operational security.

“This update includes the progress on the retrograde of troops and equipment from Afghanistan, the turning over of equipment and facilities to the ANDSF, as well as the destruction of some equipment.”

Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby said Tuesday that the United States has added capabilities in the nation to help shield retrograde operations and provide force protection.

Kirby also said CENTCOM has not released the number of troops that remain in Afghanistan because it would provide “a level of situational awareness for the Taliban.”

“We have an obligation to keep our people safe, particularly in a retrograde that could be opposed,” Kirby said. “We have to assume that this is going to be an opposed retrograde. And if we assumed anything less, it would be irresponsible of us.”

However, the US is still seeking a diplomatic peace settlement in Afghanistan.

Kirby said the US Defense Department is committed to working with US State Department personnel even as the withdrawal continues. “We still support, and want to see, a political end of this war and to see that the Taliban and the Afghan government work this out,” he said.

DOD will continue a relationship with the Afghan government after the retrograde is finished. “There are very active discussions going on now inside the department to better define what over-the-horizon counterterrorism capabilities we will be able to avail ourselves of,” Kirby said.

Before the drawdown began, there were about 2,500 US troops in Afghanistan and a further 7,000 NATO troops.

However, the Pentagon deployed several hundred Army Rangers and 12 F-18 attack planes to Afghanistan last week to assist with the drawdown.

Also helping to protect the withdrawing troops are six B-52 bombers based in Qatar and the aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower in the Middle East.

Latest News

India announce squads for Afghanistan Test and ODI series

Veteran batters Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma remain key figures in India’s ODI setup as selectors gradually shape the squad for the next World Cup cycle.

Published

on

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has announced India’s Test and ODI squads for the upcoming series against Afghanistan, with Shubman Gill set to captain both sides.

The series, scheduled for June, includes a one-off Test match and a three-match ODI series and is being viewed as an important step in India’s preparations for a busy international calendar.

Selectors largely retained a familiar core of experienced players while also rewarding several younger talents following strong performances in IPL 2026.

The squad announcement came amid discussions surrounding workload management for key players, including fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah, as well as the leadership role of wicketkeeper-batter Rishabh Pant.

According to reports, chief selector Ajit Agarkar and BCCI officials also considered the importance of the Afghanistan series in shaping India’s plans for the ongoing World Test Championship cycle and the 2027 ODI World Cup.

Despite the one-off Test not carrying World Test Championship points, India named a strong batting lineup as the team management looks to build momentum ahead of a demanding Test season later this year, including overseas tours and the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.

Veteran batters Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma remain key figures in India’s ODI setup as selectors gradually shape the squad for the next World Cup cycle.

India’s Test squad for the Afghanistan series includes Shubman Gill as captain, with Yashasvi Jaiswal, KL Rahul, Sai Sudharsan, Rishabh Pant, Devdutt Padikkal, Nitish Kumar Reddy, Washington Sundar, Kuldeep Yadav and Mohammed Siraj among those selected.

The ODI squad also features Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Hardik Pandya, Shreyas Iyer and Ishan Kishan.

The one-off Test match between India and Afghanistan will be played from June 6 to 10 at the MYS International Cricket Stadium in Mullanpur, New Chandigarh.

The ODI series will begin on June 14 in Dharamsala, followed by matches in Lucknow on June 17 and Chennai on June 20.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Fazlur Rehman says Pakistan’s Afghanistan policy has failed

He said issues between Afghanistan and Pakistan should be resolved through political dialogue and diplomacy rather than the use of force.

Published

on

Pakistani religious and political leader Fazlur Rehman has said Islamabad’s long-standing interventionist approach toward Afghanistan has failed and contributed to growing mistrust between the two neighboring countries.

Speaking at a press conference in Karachi, the chief of Pakistan’s Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam party said Pakistan had at times supported Afghan governments and at other times opposed them, describing the policy as unsuccessful.

He said issues between Afghanistan and Pakistan should be resolved through political dialogue and diplomacy rather than the use of force.

Without naming specific groups, Fazlur Rehman also criticized what he described as failed state policies, saying that even groups once regarded as close to Pakistan are now acting against the country.

He called for serious diplomatic and political engagement to address ongoing disputes between Kabul and Islamabad, including trade, border management, refugee issues and security concerns.

His remarks come amid continued tensions between Afghanistan and Pakistan over clashes, mutual security accusations and Pakistan’s deportation of Afghan refugees.

Continue Reading

Latest News

OIC pledges support for preservation and modernization of Afghanistan’s cultural heritage

The two sides also discussed initiatives aimed at improving the capacity and expertise of Afghan professionals working in the cultural and historical sectors.

Published

on

The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) has pledged to strengthen cooperation with Afghanistan in preserving, restoring and modernizing the country’s cultural and historical institutions.

According to Afghanistan’s Ministry of Information and Culture, Deputy Minister Mawlawi Atiqullah Azizi met in Kabul with Khalil Ibrahim Okur, the OIC’s deputy for humanitarian affairs, to discuss joint cultural initiatives and efforts to protect Afghanistan’s historical heritage.

The discussions focused on the preservation of historical sites, the digital 3D documentation of cultural artifacts and plans to modernize cultural institutions across the country.

Azizi said Afghanistan holds a rich cultural and historical legacy that is closely tied to the broader Islamic world.

“Afghanistan possesses numerous historical monuments, ancient sites, manuscripts and cultural treasures whose preservation is a shared cultural responsibility for Islamic countries,” he said.

He also called on the OIC to expand support for the development and modernization of public libraries, the National Archives, the National Museum and the Directorate of Fine Arts.

Okur praised the ministry’s efforts to safeguard Afghanistan’s cultural heritage and said the OIC would work with Afghan institutions on practical initiatives related to restoration, digital documentation and the international promotion of Afghanistan’s historical treasures.

He further assured Afghan officials that opportunities would be created for Afghan experts to participate in international educational and scientific programs aimed at strengthening professional skills and gaining new experience.

According to Okur, the OIC is seeking to deepen Afghanistan’s cultural ties with Islamic countries and international cultural organizations through joint programs focused on protecting the country’s historical and cultural heritage.

The two sides also discussed initiatives aimed at improving the capacity and expertise of Afghan professionals working in the cultural and historical sectors.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Ariana News. All rights reserved!