Connect with us

Regional

Putin arrives in China to deepen strategic partnership with Xi

Published

on

Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in Beijing early on Thursday for talks with Xi Jinping that the Kremlin hopes will deepen a strategic partnership between the two most powerful geopolitical rivals of the United States, Reuters reported.

China and Russia declared a “no limits” partnership in February 2022 when Putin visited Beijing just days before he sent tens of thousands of troops into Ukraine, triggering the deadliest land war in Europe since World War Two.

By picking China for his first foreign trip since being sworn in for a six-year term that will keep him in power until at least 2030, Putin is sending a message to the world about his priorities and the depth of his personal relationship with Xi.

In an interview with China’s Xinhua news agency, Putin praised Xi for helping to build a “strategic partnership” with Russia based on national interests and deep mutual trust.

“It was the unprecedentedly high level of the strategic partnership between our countries that determined my choice of China as the first state that I would visit after officially taking office as president of the Russian Federation,” Putin said.

“We will try to establish closer cooperation in the field of industry and high technology, space and peaceful nuclear energy, artificial intelligence, renewable energy sources and other innovative sectors,” Putin said.

Putin, 71, and Xi, 70, will take part in a gala evening celebrating 75 years since the Soviet Union recognised the People’s Republic of China, which was declared by Mao Zedong in 1949, read the report.

Xinhua confirmed his arrival for what China’s state press has described as a state visit from an “old friend”.

Putin’s arrival and visit is the top trending item on the Chinese social media platform Weibo, with 1.4 million search requests amid a stream of images, videos and comments.

The United States casts China as its biggest competitor and Russia as its biggest nation-state threat while U.S. President Joe Biden argues that this century will be defined by an existential contest between democracies and autocracies.

Putin and Xi share a broad world view, which sees the West as decadent and in decline just as China challenges U.S. supremacy in everything from quantum computing and synthetic biology to espionage and hard military power.

Putin will also visit Harbin in northeastern China, a city with historic ties to Russia. A mall devoted to Russian-made goods representing some 80 Russian manufacturers opened on Thursday, the China Daily reported.

XI AND PUTIN

China has strengthened its trade and military ties with Russia in recent years as the United States and its allies imposed sanctions against both countries, particularly against Moscow for the invasion of Ukraine, Reuters reported.

The West says China has played a crucial role in helping Russia withstand the sanctions and has supplied key technology which Russia has used on the battlefield in Ukraine.

But China, once the junior partner of Moscow in the global Communist hierarchy, remains by far the most powerful of Russia’s friends in the world.

Putin’s arrival follows a mission to Beijing late last month by U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken, in part to warn China’s top diplomat Wang Yi against deepening military support for Russia.

Kremlin foreign policy aide Yuri Ushakov said that the two leaders would hold informal talks on Thursday evening over tea and that they would touch on Ukraine, Asia, energy and trade.

Putin’s newly appointed defence minister, Andrei Belousov, as well as Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, Security Council Secretary Sergei Shoigu and foreign policy adviser Yuri Ushakov, will also attend, along with Russia’s most powerful CEOs.

It was not immediately clear if Gazprom (GAZP.MM), opens new tab CEO Alexei Miller would go to China as he was on a working visit to Iran on Wednesday, Reuters reported.

Regional

Death toll jumps to 90 in China coal mine blast

Published

on

The death toll from a gas explosion at a coal ​mine in northern China’s Shanxi province has jumped to ‌90, state media CCTV reported on Saturday.

The gas explosion occurred late on Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, ​with 247 workers on duty underground, state media Xinhua ​reported earlier in the day, according to Reuters.

Chinese President Xi Jinping ⁠called for authorities to “spare no effort” in treating the ​injured and conducting search and rescue operations, while ordering a ​thorough investigation into the cause of the accident and strict accountability in accordance with the law, according to Xinhua.

Premier Li Qiang echoed ​the instructions, calling for timely and accurate release of ​information and rigorous accountability.

Rescue operations were ongoing and the cause of the ‌accident ⁠was under investigation, according to the local emergency management authority in Qinyuan.

China has significantly reduced coal mine fatalities – often caused by gas explosions or flooding – since the early 2000s ​through more ​stringent regulations and ⁠safer practices. The Liushenyu incident, though, was one of the deadliest reported in China ​in the past decade.

Executives of the company ​responsible for ⁠the mine have been detained, Xinhua reported.

Earlier Xinhua had reported only eight dead, with more than 200 people brought safely ⁠to ​the surface. It did not explain ​the jump in the death toll.

Continue Reading

Regional

Pakistan army chief heads to Tehran amid US-Iran mediation efforts

Published

on

Pakistan’s Army Chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, departed for Tehran on Friday for talks with senior Iranian officials, according to a diplomatic source cited by Islamic Republic News Agency.

The source in Islamabad said the visit comes amid ongoing Pakistani efforts to help ease tensions between the United States and Iran.

No details were provided regarding the duration or agenda of the trip.

This marks Munir’s second reported visit to Tehran as part of Islamabad’s mediation initiatives.

Continue Reading

Regional

British woman detained in Iran resumes hunger strike alongside husband

The pair had previously spoken to media outlets from prison, describing harsh prison conditions and fears over their future.

Published

on

A British woman imprisoned in Iran has resumed a hunger strike alongside her husband as the couple continue protesting their detention and prison conditions after more than 16 months in custody.

Craig and Lindsay Foreman, a couple from East Sussex, were arrested in January 2025 while travelling through Iran during a round-the-world motorcycle trip. Iranian authorities later sentenced them to 10 years in prison on espionage charges, which they strongly deny.

According to reports, Craig Foreman began refusing food on May 9 after prison authorities at Tehran’s Evin prison cut off the couple’s access to phone calls following media interviews they gave from custody. Lindsay Foreman is believed to have joined the hunger strike on Tuesday.

Family members say the restrictions on communication with the outside world have increased psychological pressure on the couple during their detention.

The pair had previously spoken to media outlets from prison, describing harsh prison conditions and fears over their future.

In one interview, Lindsay Foreman said she had come to terms with the possibility of dying in prison amid growing regional tensions and uncertainty surrounding their case.

She also described life inside Evin prison during periods of heightened military tensions, saying inmates hid under beds as explosions were heard across Tehran.

Craig Foreman appealed directly to the British government for assistance, saying he could not understand why they had remained imprisoned for more than a year.

He also described being held in a small prison cell under difficult conditions, saying the experience had left him emotionally and physically exhausted.

The British government continues to advise against all travel to Iran, warning citizens of a significant risk of arrest, questioning or detention.

Earlier this year, the UK temporarily withdrew some diplomatic staff from Iran amid concerns over possible military escalation involving the United States and Israel.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Ariana News. All rights reserved!