Latest News
Crane collapse in Mecca kills at least 107
At least 107 people died and more than 230 people were injured when a crane collapsed in the Muslim holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia.
The huge red crane crashed into a part of the Grand Mosque – the largest in the world – that was filled with worshippers at the time.
The head of Saudi Arabia’s civil defence said strong winds and heavy rains had caused the collapse.
Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to arrive in the Saudi city from all over the world later this month.
It happened at a time when many worshippers were there for Friday prayers.
Mecca is preparing to welcome Muslims from around the world for the annual Hajj pilgrimage, which begins in about 10 days’ time.
Saudi authorities began a major expansion of the site last year to increase the area of the mosque by 400,000 square metres (4.3 million square feet), to allow it to accommodate up to 2.2 million people at once.
More than three million people undertook the Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca in 2012. Saudi authorities have taken steps since 2013 to limit the number of people involved.
Large numbers of people have resulted in several tragedies over the years, including a stampede in 2006 that killed nearly 350 people.
First Published @BBC
Latest News
Afghanistan welcomes investment and technology partnerships with India
Azizi welcomed the proposals, emphasizing Afghanistan’s abundant investment opportunities and reaffirming full support.
Nooruddin Azizi, Afghanistan’s Minister of Commerce and Industry, met with Ankush Satana and his delegation at his office to discuss expanding economic and technological cooperation.
During the meeting, Satana expressed interest in establishing a gemstone exhibition salon in Afghanistan and connecting Afghan and Indian traders in the pharmaceutical sector.
He also highlighted Germany’s advanced technology capable of producing large quantities of diesel fuel from collected plastic waste and expressed willingness to transfer this technology to Afghanistan.
Azizi welcomed the proposals, emphasizing Afghanistan’s abundant investment opportunities and reaffirming full support.
He noted that the country’s private sector is active and prepared to collaborate with foreign investors.
This meeting represents a significant step toward strengthening economic partnerships and fostering technology transfer, further boosting Afghanistan’s position as a hub for investment and trade in the region.
Latest News
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa governor urges political dialogue with Afghanistan
Kundi stated that security in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is directly affected by conditions in Afghanistan and recalled how past conflicts, including post-Soviet wars and post-9/11 events, fueled militancy in the region.
Faisal Karim Kundi, Governor of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, stressed the importance of political dialogue with the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan during a regional meeting on “Security, Trade, and Economic Affairs between Pakistan and Afghanistan” held in Peshawar.
The event was hosted by the University of Peshawar’s Department of International Relations.
Kundi said that domestic and cross-border challenges can only be addressed through constructive engagement among political leaders. He emphasized that a stable Afghanistan is essential not just for Pakistan, but for the wider region, and that lasting peace is key to economic growth and expanded trade.
The meeting also addressed regional security, trade challenges, and the potential of Pakistan-Afghanistan crossings to strengthen connectivity with Central Asia.
Kundi stated that security in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa is directly affected by conditions in Afghanistan and recalled how past conflicts, including post-Soviet wars and post-9/11 events, fueled militancy in the region.
The IEA has meanwhile not commented on Kundi’s remarks but officials have in the past repeatedly acknowledged the need for positive dialogue with neighboring countries to strengthen ties and economic relations.
Latest News
US raises concerns over American detainees in Afghanistan
Zabihullah Mujahid, spokesperson for the Islamic Emirate, said talks with U.S. officials are ongoing and expressed hope for a peaceful resolution.
Don Brown, U.S. chargé d’affaires for Afghanistan in Qatar, expressed concern over American citizens currently detained in Afghanistan, describing their situation as “regrettable” and calling for continued diplomatic efforts to resolve the matter.
Brown noted that the detainee issue remains a key focus in discussions between Washington and Kabul.
Zabihullah Mujahid, spokesperson for the Islamic Emirate, said talks with U.S. officials are ongoing and expressed hope for a peaceful resolution.
The matter has been part of U.S.-Afghanistan engagement for several years, with past negotiations securing the release of some Americans.
In September 2025, the U.S. established a framework allowing sanctions on entities that wrongfully detain American citizens.
The situation underscores the continuing importance of detainee negotiations in U.S.–Afghanistan relations.
-
Latest News2 days agoIEA releases three Pakistani soldiers to mark Ramadan
-
Latest News2 days agoGrateful to Afghans and Ulama for obeying the Islamic Emirate, says Hibatullah Akhundzada
-
Latest News3 days agoAfghanistan’s defense ministry unveils new military uniforms for armed forces
-
Latest News1 day agoAfghanistan’s Chief of Armed Forces underscores readiness and equipment for national defense
-
Latest News4 days agoTajikistan: Recent attacks from Afghanistan aimed at damaging our relations with China
-
Business4 days agoIran–China rail link via Afghanistan proposed to cut transit time
-
Latest News5 days agoJapan maintains direct contacts with IEA officials through Kabul Embassy
-
Latest News4 days agoIran would prevail in potential conflict with the United States, says IEA spokesman

