Connect with us

Business

Afghanistan’s Largest Cold Storage Facility Built in Kabul

Published

 on

(Last Updated On: November 16, 2019)

A privately owned cold storage facility has been built in Kabul.

The facility, which is the largest cold storage build in the country, cost about five million US dollars.

It has the capacity of storing 5,000 tons of agricultural products at one time. Presently it is being used to store 2,000 tons of fresh apples.

According to the owner, the warehouse can store perishable fresh fruits and vegetables for a period of up to six months.

“We can store tomatoes for two months, grapes for three months, and pomegranates, apples and oranges for six months,” said Habib Rezaee, the owner of the facility.

Mr. Rezaee said that he plans to build similar cold storage facilities in 20 provinces.

An official from the Fresh Fruit Exporters Union told Ariana News that the building of such storage facilities will minimize product loss and maximize profits.

“The government has failed to build such facilities which benefit businessmen, farmers, and everyone,” said Mirwais Hajizada, Deputy of the Fresh Fruit Exporters Union.

The Ministry of Industry and Commerce (MoIC) welcomes the construction of the cold storage by  private investors.

“We welcome any investment by the private sector for the economy development; therefore, we have a close relation with the private sector,” said Samir Rasa, Spokesperson of the Ministry of Industry and Commerce.

Recently, officials in the Afghanistan Chamber of Commerce and Investment (ACCI) said the Afghan government has made little effort to find markets for fresh fruits being produced in the country.

Currently, fresh fruits are sold cheaply within domestic markets, while large amounts of fruit spoils every year due to the lack of standard refrigeration.

According to the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL), Afghanistan is a fertile country that produces about 1.5 million tons of fresh fruits per year.

Last year, officials said the government is trying to build standard cold storage facilities to extend the lifespan of the country’s fruit, but farmers still suffer due to the absence of cold storage capacity across the country.

Business

Musk says Twitter deal could move ahead with ‘bot’ info

Published

on

(Last Updated On: August 6, 2022)

Elon Musk said Saturday his planned $44 billion takeover of Twitter should move forward if the company can confirm some details about how it measures whether user accounts are ‘spam bots’ or real people, AP reported Saturday. 

The billionaire and Tesla CEO has been trying to back out of his April agreement to buy the social media company, leading Twitter to sue him last month to complete the acquisition. Musk countersued, accusing Twitter of misleading his team about the true size of its user base and other problems he said amounted to fraud and breach of contract.

Both sides are headed toward an October trial in a Delaware court.

“If Twitter simply provides their method of sampling 100 accounts and how they’re confirmed to be real, the deal should proceed on original terms,” Musk tweeted early Saturday. “However, if it turns out that their SEC filings are materially false, then it should not.”

Twitter declined comment Saturday. The company has repeatedly disclosed to the Securities and Exchange Commission an estimate that fewer than 5% of user accounts are fake or spam, with a disclaimer that it could be higher. Musk waived his right to further due diligence when he signed the April merger agreement.

Twitter has argued in court that Musk is deliberately trying to tank the deal because market conditions have deteriorated and the acquisition no longer serves his interests. In a court filing Thursday, it describes his counterclaims as an imagined story “contradicted by the evidence and common sense.”

“Musk invents representations Twitter never made and then tries to wield, selectively, the extensive confidential data Twitter provided him to conjure a breach of those purported representations,” company attorneys wrote.

Continue Reading

Business

Fresh fruits exports from Afghanistan increase this year: ACCI

Published

on

(Last Updated On: August 5, 2022)

Afghanistan Chamber of Commerce & Investment (ACCI) said Friday that fresh fruits exports have increased from the country abroad.

According to ACCI, the export of fresh fruits have increased significantly compared to previous years, and most of these fruits are exported to Pakistan, India and some other neighboring countries of Afghanistan.

ACCI members have added that if the export process continues in the same way, gardeners and traders can export fresh seasonal fruits regularly.

According to the members of this chamber, Pakistan has recently provided more facilities for Afghanistan’s exports.

However, producers and exporters of fresh fruit in the country said that compared to last year, melon products have decreased by 50 percent, adding that there is little consideration for the expenses and efforts of farmers for the price at which their products are sold, and there is a need for better marketing for their products.

Meanwhile, traders said that due to recent droughts and natural disasters, the harvest of fresh fruit has decreased.

On the other hand, the decrease in the price of Pakistani currency has caused traders to face many problems in trading goods with this country.

Economic experts said that the government should find different markets for the country’s fresh fruit exports.

According to them, in order to prevent the spoilage of farmers’ and gardeners’ products, cold storages should be set up in the country.

Continue Reading

Business

HRW urges governments, IEA to reach agreement on banking issues

Published

on

(Last Updated On: August 5, 2022)

Afghanistan’s humanitarian crisis cannot be effectively addressed unless the United States and other governments ease restrictions on the country’s banking sector to facilitate legitimate economic activity and humanitarian aid,” Human Rights Watch said in a statement on Thursday.

It said that the US air strike killing the al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri should not derail ongoing discussions between the US and Afghanistan to urgently reach an agreement allowing ordinary Afghans to engage in legitimate commercial activity.

“Afghanistan’s intensifying hunger and health crisis is urgent and at its root a banking crisis,” said John Sifton, Asia advocacy director at Human Rights Watch. “Regardless of the Taliban’s (IEA) status or credibility with outside governments, international economic restrictions are still driving the country’s catastrophe and hurting the Afghan people.”

Despite actions by the US and others to license banking transactions with Afghan entities, Afghanistan’s central bank remains unable to access its foreign currency reserves or process or receive most international transactions. As a result, the country continues to suffer from a major liquidity crisis and lack of banknotes, HRW noted.

Businesses, humanitarian groups, and private banks continue to report extensive restrictions on their operational capacities. At the same time, because outside donors have severely cut funding to support Afghanistan health, education, and other essential sectors, millions of Afghans have lost their incomes, according to HRW.

Overall, more than 90 percent of Afghans have been suffering from some form of food insecurity since last August, skipping meals or whole days of eating and engaging in extreme coping mechanisms to pay for food, including sending children to work, HRW said.

“Importers are struggling to pay for goods, humanitarian groups are facing problems with basic operations, and the Afghan diaspora can’t send enough money to their relatives and friends,” Sifton said. “Millions of hungry Afghans are experiencing the abysmal reality of seeing food at the market but being unable to purchase it.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2022 Ariana News. All rights reserved!