Connect with us

Latest News

Starc, Rana shine as Delhi and Rajasthan register IPL wins

Published

on

Australian left-arm quick Starc returned figures of 5-35 as Delhi bowled out Hyderabad for 163, a target they overhauled with four overs and seven wickets to spare for their second straight win in this edition of the T20 tournament.

In the second match of the day in Guwahati, Rana’s batting blitz helped Rajasthan to 182-9 and then kept down Chennai Super Kings to 176-6 for a six-run win – the team’s first after two losses.

“Feels good,” said stand-in Rajasthan skipper Riyan Parag.

“Took some time, it was two games but felt long. Felt we were 20 short but the bowlers stepped up and executed our collective plans.”

Sri Lankan leg-spinner Wanindu Hasaranga returned figures of 4-35, delivering key blows against the Chennai batting order.

The left-handed Rana put on 82 for the second wicket with Sanju Samson to lay the foundations of Rajasthan’s total.

Afghanistan left-arm wrist spinner Noor Ahmad broke the stand with the wicket of Samson, who is Rajasthan’s regular captain but playing only as a batsman due to an injury.

Rana reached his fifty in 21 balls and bludgeoned the bowlers with 10 fours and five sixes in his stay at the crease. He was named player of the match.

Veteran Indian spinner Ravichandran Ashwin cut short Rana’s knock when he had the batsman stumped.

Parag hit 37 off 28 balls before being bowled by Sri Lankan pace bowler Matheesha Pathirana.

In Chennai’s reply, England pace bowler Jofra Archer struck in the first over to have Rachin Ravindra caught behind for a duck as he celebrated his first wicket this IPL season.
Hasaranga then took control and got a wicket in each of his four overs and his final strike of skipper Ruturaj Gaikwad for 63 derailed the Chennai chase.

Earlier in Delhi’s second home of Visakhapatnam, Starc struck early and twice in one over to send back Ishan Kishan and Nitish Reddy.

He then got fellow Australian Travis Head caught behind for 22 as Hyderabad slipped to 37-4 in 4.1 overs.

Indian batsman Aniket Verma, who top-scored with 74, and South African wicketkeeper-batsman Heinrich Klaasen then put on an attacking stand of 77 in an attempt to hit back.

Kuldeep Yadav, a left-arm wrist spinner, claimed figures of 3-22 before Starc completed his five to wrap up the Hyderabad innings.

“There’s no ego in bowlers these days,” said player of the match Starc.

“As a bowler you’ve got to think out of the box. You need to do things you wouldn’t normally do. It was nice to contribute in the win today, we move forward from here.”

In reply, South African veteran Faf Du Plessis came out firing in his 27-ball 50 as he smashed India fast bowler Mohammed Shami for a six and three fours in a 15-run third over to set up the chase.

Delhi, under new skipper Axar Patel, have rebuilt the team in their hunt for a first IPL title and brought in England great Kevin Pietersen as mentor.

Ariana Television will broadcast today’s match live and exclusively in Afghanistan. Fans can tune in from 6:15 pm to watch Match 12th, between Mumbai Indians and Kolkata Knight Riders.

(AFP)

Latest News

Sirajuddin Haqqani travels to Bamyan after Panjshir visit

Published

on

Sirajuddin Haqqani, the Minister of Interior Affairs, traveled to Bamyan province on Friday after visiting Panjshir and met with officials and a number of tribal elders who had come from various districts of the province.

Abdul Mateen Qani, spokesperson for the Ministry of Interior Affairs, said Haqqani described Afghanistan’s current security and stability as a major national asset and said that Afghanistan is the common home of all Afghans.

According to Qani, the Interior Minister added that divisions based on ethnicity, region and language were the result of hostile foreign efforts. However, he said Afghans are now moving toward strengthening unity, brotherhood and solidarity under a single system, and that maintaining the country’s security and stability is a shared responsibility of the government and the people.

Haqqani also held a separate meeting with Bamyan’s tribal elders and influential figures, listened to their views, suggestions and requests, and issued necessary instructions to the relevant officials to follow up on and resolve the issues raised.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Bulgaria detains 35 Afghan migrants in passenger vehicle

Published

on

Bulgaria’s state news agency BTA has reported that border police in the Malko Tarnovo area arrested 35 undocumented migrants, all Afghan nationals, from a passenger vehicle.

Bulgaria’s Interior Ministry said the migrants were arrested on August 18.

According to officials, the 22-year-old driver of the vehicle, who is a resident of North Macedonia, was also arrested by police.

The report said Bulgarian police operations against illegal migration have expanded in recent months.

Earlier in August, 20 undocumented migrants and their driver were also arrested in the area of the Ropotamo River, near the city of Burgas.

Previously, in mid-June, 32 migrants and a guide accompanying them were arrested in the Poda area, near Burgas.

Bulgarian border police said that under new regulations, undocumented migrants apprehended at the country’s external borders are held in special facilities for up to seven days before being transferred to migrant detention centers.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Girls’ education key to IEA’s international legitimacy, says Karzai

Karzai, who led Afghanistan for nearly 13 years after the fall of the first IEA’s government in 2001, said some IEA officials understand and agree with his concerns.

Published

on

Former Afghan President Hamid Karzai has said the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (IEA) will struggle to gain broader international legitimacy unless it reverses restrictions on girls’ education and women’s employment.

Speaking in an interview with Bloomberg’s The Mishal Husain Show, Karzai said he had repeatedly urged IEA’s officials to reopen schools and universities to girls and allow women to return to work.

“I’ve been repeatedly speaking to them and telling them of the importance of education for Afghanistan, of the importance of Afghan women, half the society, getting back to work,” Karzai said.

Karzai, who led Afghanistan for nearly 13 years after the fall of the first IEA’s government in 2001, said some IEA officials understand and agree with his concerns.

He argued that international recognition and legitimacy depend on meeting certain conditions, particularly restoring girls’ access to education and women’s participation in the workforce.

Since returning to power in August 2021, the IEA has barred girls from secondary schools and universities and imposed sweeping restrictions on women’s employment, movement and dress.

The restrictions have drawn repeated condemnation from the United Nations and Western governments, which have made improvements in women’s rights a key condition for normalising relations with the IEA.

According to the United Nations, about 3.8 million Afghan girls are currently out of school. The restrictions on women’s education and employment are also estimated to cost Afghanistan billions of afghanis each year.

Despite international pressure and several rounds of talks, including meetings in Oslo and Doha, the IEA has so far shown no indication of reversing the education bans.

Karzai also warned about the wider humanitarian and economic challenges facing Afghanistan. The United Nations estimates that 21.9 million people—around 45 percent of the population—will require humanitarian assistance in 2026.

The return of millions of Afghans from neighbouring Iran and Pakistan has added further pressure to the country’s already fragile humanitarian situation.

The Islamic Emirate has previously said that the issue of girls’ education is an internal issue in Afghanistan and efforts are being made to resolve it.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2026 Ariana News. All rights reserved!