World
US and allies plan more Iran sanctions; Israel war cabinet to meet again
The U.S. and its allies planned fresh sanctions against Iran over its unprecedented attack on Israel, seeking to dissuade Israel from a major escalation as its war cabinet was set to meet for a third time on Wednesday to decide a response, Reuters reported.
While Saturday night’s attack caused no deaths and little damage thanks to the air defences and countermeasures of Israel and its allies, it has increased fears that violence rooted in the six-month-old Gaza war is spreading, with the risk of open war between long-time adversaries Iran and Israel.
Israel’s military chief of staff Herzi Halevi had promised Iran’s launch of more than 300 missiles, cruise missiles and drones at Israeli territory “will be met with a response”, but gave no details.
An Israeli government source said the war cabinet session scheduled for Tuesday had been put off until Wednesday, without elaborating, read the report.
Hoping to steer Israel away from massive retaliation, the U.S. and Europe flagged a toughening of economic and political sanctions against Iran.
The U.S. is planning to impose new sanctions targeting Iran’s missile and drone programme in the coming days and expects its allies will be following suit, National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan said in a statement on Tuesday.
Earlier, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said the U.S. would use sanctions, and work with allies, to keep disrupting Iran’s “malign and destabilising activity”.
She told a news conference in Washington all options to disrupt Iran’s “terrorist financing” were on the table, and she expected further sanctions against Iran to be announced soon.
European Union foreign policy chief Josep Borrell, speaking in Brussels after an emergency video conference of EU foreign ministers, said some member states had asked for sanctions against Iran to be expanded and that the bloc’s diplomatic service would begin working on the proposal.
Borrell said the proposal would expand a sanctions regime that seeks to curb the supply of Iranian drones to Russia so that it would also include the provision of missiles and could also cover deliveries to Iranian proxies in the Middle East.
Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz said he was “leading a diplomatic attack”, writing to 32 countries to ask them to place sanctions on Iran’s missile programme and follow Washington in proscribing its dominant military force, the Revolutionary Guard Corps, as a terrorist group, Reuters reported.
‘CALM HEADS’
Iran launched the attack in retaliation for an airstrike on its embassy compound in Damascus on April 1 attributed to Israel, but has signalled that it now deems the matter closed.
President Joe Biden told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the weekend that the United States, Israel’s main protector, would not participate in an Israeli counter-strike.
British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak told Netanyahu in a call on Tuesday that escalation in the Middle East was in nobody’s interest and would only worsen insecurity in the region, so it was “a moment for calm heads to prevail”, Sunak’s office said.
Japan Foreign Minister Yoko Kamikawa “strongly urged Israel to exercise restraint” during a call with her Israeli counterpart Israel Kantz on Tuesday evening, according to a readout of the call issued by Japan’s foreign ministry.
The prospect of Israeli retaliation has alarmed many Iranians already enduring economic pain and tighter social and political controls since major protests in 2022-23, read the report.
Since the war in Gaza began in October, clashes have erupted between Israel and Iran-aligned groups based in Lebanon, Syria, Yemen and Iraq.
Israel said four of its soldiers were wounded hundreds of metres inside Lebanese territory overnight, the first known Israeli ground penetration into Lebanon since the Gaza war erupted, although it has regularly traded fire with the heavily armed Lebanese Hezbollah militia.
In Gaza itself, where more than 33,000 Palestinians have been killed in the Israeli offensive according to Gaza health ministry figures, Iran’s action drew applause.
Israel began its campaign against Hamas, the Iranian-backed Palestinian militant group that runs Gaza, after the militants attacked Israel on Oct. 7, killing 1,200 people and taking 253 hostages, by Israeli tallies.
World
Suspect dies after trading gunfire with officers near White House, Secret Service says
A gunman who fired at a White House checkpoint was shot by officers and died after being taken to the hospital on Saturday evening, the Secret Service said.
The man approached the checkpoint at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue near the White House, pulled a gun out of his bag and started shooting at officers, according to a Secret Service statement sent to Reuters. Officers returned fire and shot the suspect, the agency said.
A bystander was struck by gunfire, the statement said, but it did not make clear how badly the person was hurt. Another Secret Service statement, cited by multiple news outlets, said it was not clear whether the bystander was hit when the gunman began shooting or during the subsequent exchange of gunfire.
The shooting suspect was identified as an emotionally disturbed person, a law enforcement official told Reuters, adding that a “stay-away order” had been issued to him previously.
No law enforcement personnel were injured, the Secret Service said, adding that President Donald Trump was at the White House during the incident.
The shooting comes nearly a month after a gunman fired shots inside the hotel hosting the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, prompting Trump and other officials to be rushed out.
World
One dead, 36 injured in explosion at New York dry dock
An explosion at a dry dock in New York City’s Staten Island killed one person and injured 36 others on Friday, as the blast occurred while firefighters were on the scene responding to a fire and attempting to rescue two people who were trapped, officials said.
Two firefighters were hospitalized, including a fire marshal who suffered a fractured temple and a brain bleed and was intubated, officials said. The other firefighter was in serious condition but had shown improvement, officials said, Reuters reported.
“This was a complex, fast-developing emergency situation,” New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani told reporters.
“First responders did what they always do: they ran towards danger so others could escape to safety.”
Officials did not provide details about the person who died except to say it was a civilian.
A comprehensive investigation would begin once the fire was completely extinguished, Mamdani said.
Firefighters had responded to reports of a fire in a basement and two workers trapped and were on scene when the explosion occurred, officials said.
The incident took place in the Richmond Terrace section of the borough of Staten Island, a part of New York City that is across the harbor from Manhattan.
World
Trump says US will send additional 5,000 troops to Poland
The United States will be sending an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday.
Trump, in a Truth Social post, cited his relationship with Poland’s conservative nationalist president, Karol Nawrocki, as the reason behind his decision to send additional troops.
The announcement comes two days after U.S. Vice President JD Vance told reporters a U.S. troop deployment to Poland had been delayed.
The U.S. had been reviewing its troop presence in Europe and had long been expected to scale it back following demands from Trump that NATO take a larger role in the defense of Europe.
“Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” Trump said in the post.
Trump hosted Nawrocki at the White House in May last year and backed him at a crucial moment ahead of the Polish election in which Nawrocki went on to defeat the candidate of Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk’s pro-European, centrist party.
He met Nawrocki again at the White House in September, and said at the time that the U.S. could increase its troop presence in Poland and pledged to secure the country’s defense.
-
Latest News4 days agoIndia announce squads for Afghanistan Test and ODI series
-
Latest News4 days agoMullah Baradar launches $150 million Lajward residential complex in Balkh
-
Latest News4 days agoFazlur Rehman says Pakistan’s Afghanistan policy has failed
-
World5 days agoSan Diego mosque security guard hailed as hero after deadly shooting
-
Sport2 days agoMohammadi crowned champion of 2nd season of Ariana Snooker Championship
-
Regional4 days agoBritish woman detained in Iran resumes hunger strike alongside husband
-
Business3 days agoKabul, Tashkent push industrial cooperation with planned factory transfers
-
World4 days agoUS Senate advances measure curbing Trump’s Iran war powers
