Latest News
Ban on girls’ education in Afghanistan will be ‘catastrophic’: UNICEF
The U.N. children´s agency on Saturday urged the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan (IEA) to immediately lift a lingering ban on girls’ education to save the future of millions who have been deprived of their right to education since the IEA returned to power in 2021.
The appeal by UNICEF comes as a new school year began in Afghanistan without girls beyond sixth grade. The ban, said the agency, has deprived 400,000 more girls of their right to education, bringing the total to 2.2 million.
“For over three years, the rights of girls in Afghanistan have been violated,” Catherine Russell, UNICEF executive director, said in a statement. “All girls must be allowed to return to school now. If these capable, bright young girls continue to be denied an education, then the repercussions will last for generations.”
A ban on the education of girls will harm the future of millions of Afghan girls, she said, adding that if the ban persists until 2030, “more than four million girls will have been deprived of their right to education beyond primary school.” The consequences, she added, will be “catastrophic.”
Russell warned that the decline in female doctors and midwives will leave women and girls without crucial medical care. This situation is projected to result in an estimated 1,600 additional maternal deaths and over 3,500 infant deaths. “These are not just numbers, they represent lives lost and families shattered,” she said.
The Islamic Emirate has previously said that the issue of girls’ education is an internal issue in Afghanistan and efforts are being made to resolve it.
Latest News
Qatari ambassador pledges support for restoring Afghanistan’s historical archives
Latest News
Afghan authorities warn companies over work visa fraud
Afghanistan’s Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs says it has summoned representatives of travel agencies over allegations of illegally issuing work visas to Turkey and other countries through black market networks.
According to the ministry, company officials were asked to provide written commitments stating that they would no longer collect money from people under the pretext of obtaining work visas and would fully cooperate with authorities in investigating public complaints.
The ministry also warned the companies against engaging in any illegal activities related to overseas employment visas and said action would be taken against violators.
At the same time, citizens were urged not to fall victim to fraud or false promises and to avoid handing over money or personal documents to unauthorized individuals or companies claiming to arrange foreign work visas.
Latest News
Afghan hajj minister arrives in Saudi Arabia to oversee services for pilgrims
-
Business5 days agoChinese and Uzbek investors express interest in Afghanistan’s mining sector
-
Regional3 days agoRevised Iranian proposal to end war shared with US, Pakistani source says
-
Latest News4 days agoAfghanistan, China discuss Wakhan Corridor cooperation and future infrastructure projects
-
Sport4 days agoCanada aim for historic first World Cup win on home soil in 2026
-
Sport5 days agoAfghanistan, Kyrgyzstan play out stalemate in CAFA U-20 Championship
-
Regional4 days agoPakistan deploys jet squadron, thousands of troops to Saudi Arabia during Iran war
-
Health4 days agoAfghanistan launches second nationwide polio vaccination campaign of 2026
-
Sport3 days agoMexico City Stadium to host opening match of FIFA World Cup 2026
