Connect with us

Latest News

US warns Pakistan of action against Haqqani Network

Published

on

Last Updated on: October 25, 2022

Jalaluddin Haqqani, founder of Haqqani network

Dawn: In a move that has blocked the disbursement of the next tranche of Coalition Support Fund (CSF), the United States has told Pakistan that it would not be certifying to the Congress that its (Pakistani) counter-terrorism operation in North Waziristan damaged the Haqqani network.

This was conveyed by the US Department of Defence to the Pakistani mission in Washington as well as to the authorities in Islamabad, according to a highly placed source.

The Foreign Office did not immediately reply to a question about the US communication, but a senior official based at the FO, speaking in private, said they had been informally told about the decision.

The US move is politically more damaging for Islamabad than its financial impact, which is significant nevertheless for being an important source for narrowing the current account deficit. More importantly, it coincided with the deterioration in ties with Afghanistan because of Kabul’s allegations that Islamabad continued to harbour Taliban bases from where attacks were being launched.

The US decision is also likely to sour ties in the run-up to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s scheduled visit to White House in October.

The US has been reimbursing Pakistan for operations and maintenance costs incurred in direct support of its operations in Afghanistan since 2001. So far $13 billion has been reimbursed to Pakistan under this arrangement.

The CSF arrangement was supposed to end with the completion of the drawdown in Dec 2014, but the US government late last year extended the programme for another year through legislation which envisaged additional conditions, including a requirement for certification by the defence secretary that military operations in North Waziristan have significantly disrupted the safe haven and freedom of movement of the Haqqani network in Pakistan.

The certification has to be made by the US defence secretary to congressional committees after every six months.

The last tranche of $337 million was received by Pakistan last month. The non-certification will affect the disbursement of the next installment.

It comes at a time when the US is discussing the future of CSF post-2016.

Doubts have been expressed in the past by both the US and Afghanistan that the Haqqani network has been spared in the Operation Zarb-i-Azb. But it’s the first time that the US has taken such a harsh step.

It also shows how seriously the Americans take the continuing threat posed by the Haqqani network, whose current chief Sirajuddin Haqqani earlier this month took over as Taliban’s deputy chief during the succession in the insurgent group that followed the disclosure about Taliban chief Mullah Omar’s death.

Pakistani military has, however, been insisting that “terrorists of all shades” were targeted in Zarb-i-Azb launched in June last year.

The operation is in its final phases and the ground offensive for clearing Shawal valley is expected soon.

The military has over the past few days stepped up air strikes against terrorist targets in Shawal, killing dozens of terrorists and “damaging their (terrorist) infrastructure, including an ammunition dump”.

Despite differences over the Haqqani network, the US has been appreciative of the North Waziristan operation.

Some US officials have, however, been cautious in media comments regarding their assessment about the impact of operation on the Haqqani network as they say: “We welcome Pakistan’s public commitment that the operation is and would be indiscriminate.”

But they wouldn’t be more specific about their assessment.

They further say that it is important that terrorist safe havens do not re-emerge in the area.

Advertisement

Latest News

Afghanistan’s Chief of Armed Forces underscores readiness and equipment for national defense

The ceremony marked the eighth graduation from the 313 Central Corps Training Center, with 153 soldiers officially completing their training.

Published

on

Afghanistan’s Chief of Armed Forces, Fasihuddin Fitrat, has emphasized the vital importance of military readiness and proper equipment.

Speaking at the graduation ceremony of 153 personnel from the 313 Central Corps, Fitrat stressed that preparedness is essential to defend against those who challenge the unity, strength, and honor of the Islamic system and the Afghan people.

He highlighted that even during past sensitive and challenging conditions, the Islamic Emirate maintained fully trained and equipped forces.

The Ministry of Defense reiterated that maintaining readiness and proper armament is both a religious and national duty. Leaders of the Islamic Emirate have historically ensured that their forces remain prepared under all circumstances, the ministry added.

The ceremony marked the eighth graduation from the 313 Central Corps Training Center, with 153 soldiers officially completing their training.

Officials highlighted that the Islamic Emirate continues to prioritize the comprehensive readiness of its forces to counter any potential threats to national security.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan shift to opportunity-focused approach on Afghanistan; regional cooperation highlighted

Esmatullah Ergashev, Uzbekistan’s special representative for Afghanistan, noted that Central Asian countries plan to advance joint projects in Afghanistan and further expand regional cooperation.

Published

on

Astana recently hosted an extraordinary meeting of the Regional Contact Group on Afghanistan, bringing together representatives from Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan to discuss regional engagement and cooperation with Afghanistan.

Yerkin Tokumov, Kazakhstan’s special presidential representative for Afghanistan, said the country is moving away from viewing Afghanistan solely as a security concern and is adopting an opportunity-driven approach.

He stressed the importance of strengthening political, economic, trade, and transit ties, highlighting Afghanistan’s role as a strategic bridge between Central and South Asia.

Esmatullah Ergashev, Uzbekistan’s special representative for Afghanistan, noted that Central Asian countries plan to advance joint projects in Afghanistan and further expand regional cooperation.

The meeting underscores a growing consensus among Afghanistan’s neighbors to leverage opportunities for partnership, aiming to foster regional stability, enhance economic integration, and support sustainable development initiatives in the country.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat extends electricity import agreement with Iran for 1405

Afghanistan remains heavily dependent on imported electricity, with a significant share of its power supplied by neighboring countries including Iran, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Tajikistan.

Published

on

Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat (DABS), Afghanistan’s national power utility, has signed an agreement with Iran to continue importing electricity for the solar year 1405 (2026–2027), as part of efforts to stabilize power supplies amid growing domestic demand.

The agreement was signed during an official visit to Iran by a high-level DABS delegation led by its Chief Executive Officer, Alhaj Mullah Abdul Haq Hamkar.

The delegation held extensive meetings with Iranian energy officials in Tehran, focusing on the extension of existing power purchase arrangements as well as broader cooperation in electricity transmission and infrastructure development.

According to DABS, the discussions also addressed technical coordination, capacity expansion, and the reliability of cross-border electricity transmission lines linking the two countries. The visit was conducted at the invitation of Tavanir, the Iranian state organization responsible for electricity generation, transmission, and distribution.

Afghanistan remains heavily dependent on imported electricity, with a significant share of its power supplied by neighboring countries including Iran, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Tajikistan.

Domestic power generation covers only a fraction of national demand, particularly during winter months and periods of peak consumption, making long-term import agreements critical for maintaining supply to urban centers and industrial zones.

DABS officials said sustained engagement with regional electricity-exporting countries has helped strengthen energy cooperation and improve procurement planning.

The extension of the agreement with Iran is expected to support energy security, reduce supply disruptions, and provide greater predictability for Afghanistan’s power sector as authorities continue to explore domestic generation and renewable energy projects.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Ariana News. All rights reserved!