Connect with us

Latest News

Violence against women peaked in 2016: AIHRC

Published

on

Last Updated on: October 24, 2022

afghan-women-violence-surge

Violence against Afghan women hits top level in the year 2016 which the main reason is the rule of law, said Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC).

“Unfortunately, the sharp rise in violence against women in Afghanistan indicates a humanitarian crisis and human crimes. One of the main reasons for increase of these violence is government negligence in addressing the cases. The current situation is alarming for us,” said Latifa Sultani, responsible for women and children sector in HRC.

Lobbying for women’s rights have been an uphill battle in Afghanistan. After years of pressure from Afghan women’s rights activists and the international donor community, few improvements have materialized.

Despite widespread abuse and violence against women, few men are punished. The prosecution and conviction rates for rape are low, the prosecution and conviction rates for beating, virtually non-existent.

In the other hand, worryingly, in the majority of cases outside the courts, the survivor and the perpetrator reconciled and the victim was reintegrated back into the family.

In other words, Afghanistan’s informal justice system is asking women to “forget the past” in an effort to preserve families and maintain social cohesion, rather than seeking to punish the abuser.

Last year, on March 19, a mob of men beat a 27-year-old woman named Farkhunda to death, threw her body off a roof, ran over it with a car, set it on fire and at the end, threw it into the Kabul River.

The attack was captured by mobile phone cameras and was widely shared on social media. The woman had been falsely accused of burning the Koran.

Her death led to massive protests across the country, 26 arrests and renewed calls for authorities to ensure that women are protected from violence in Afghanistan.

In another report, three weeks ago, an Afghan man scalded his pregnant wife with petrol in Saghar district of Ghor province.

The 13 –year old girl, named Zahra was married at the age of 11 and five days after the husband sets wife on fire, she died in Istiqlal hospital of the capital, Kabul.

The history of Zahra starts when her mother became paralyzed and her father married for the second time.

Zahra’s father says that the family of his second wife force them to marry Zahra.

The family of Zahra claims that their daughter has been beaten since the beginning of her marriage; even, she was once injured by a knife.

But the recent report about violence against women is a 6-year-old girl in Ghor province of Afghanistan was reportedly sold in marriage to a Muslim cleric in his 50s or 60s.

The 60-year-old Muslim priest claimed the child was a “religious offering” and sent to him as a “gift”.

The man claimed the child bride’s parents were aware of the marriage, but the child’s parents claim their daughter was kidnapped from Herat province in June.

The incident, which came after several widely publicized cases of young brides being burned or stoned, highlights the enduring tribal practices of child marriage in Afghanistan.

Violence against women is endemic; girls attend school for less than half the number of years of Afghan boys, and one in every thirty-two women die from pregnancy-related causes.

Afghan women continue to experience poor health, limited economic opportunities, lack of education, an absence in participation in public life and all forms of violence.

The four decades of prolonged armed conflict across the country has contributed to significant levels of instability, insecurity, violence, rule of law challenges, and poverty and underdevelopment, which have obstructed the effective realization and enjoyment of human rights for people of Afghanistan.

The international community and the Afghan government should act to protect women rights at times when Afghanistan is going through crucial times.

Meanwhile, the problem of violence against women cannot be addressed until the parliament approves the law on elimination of violence against women.

 

Edited by Muhammad Zakaria

Advertisement

Latest News

Ex-US envoy Khalilzad condemns Pakistan air attacks on Afghanistan

He described the situation as a tragedy for both Pakistan and its neighbors, urging the Pakistani leadership to reconsider its policies and change course.

Published

on

Former U.S. Special Envoy for Afghanistan, Zalmay Khalilzad, has strongly condemned Sunday’s airstrikes by Pakistan on Afghanistan. He stated that these attacks killed and wounded numerous innocent women, children, and elderly.

Khalilzad pointed to Pakistan’s long history of misgovernance, interference in minority rights, manipulation of democratic processes, and repeated military takeovers as the root causes.

He described the situation as a tragedy for both Pakistan and its neighbors, urging the Pakistani leadership to reconsider its policies and change course.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Japan contributes $2.08 million to World Bank Trust Fund for Afghanistan

Japan has remained one of the major donors to Afghanistan’s humanitarian and development efforts.

Published

on

Japan has signed a $2.08 million contribution agreement with the World Bank to support humanitarian and livelihood programs in Afghanistan, its diplomatic mission in Kabul said on Sunday.

The funding will be channeled through the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF), a multi-donor trust fund administered by the World Bank that finances essential services and development programs in the country.

In a statement, Japan said the contribution is intended to support people in need and promote livelihoods among vulnerable Afghans, including women and young people.

“Japan stands with the Afghan people,” the statement said.

Japan has remained one of the major donors to Afghanistan’s humanitarian and development efforts.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Mujahid: Afghanistan will target perpetrators, not civilians

In an interview with Ariana News, Mujahid claimed that a specific military circle within Pakistan is behind the latest tensions.

Published

on

Zabihullah Mujahid, spokesman for the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, has warned that Pakistan’s recent actions will not go unanswered, stating that Afghan forces would target those directly responsible rather than civilians.

In an interview with Ariana News, Mujahid claimed that a specific military circle within Pakistan is behind the latest tensions.

He accused the group of acting on directives from external backers to carry out attacks and undermine relations between the two countries.

Mujahid emphasized that the Islamic Emirate distinguishes between civilians and those engaged in military operations, asserting that its response would be directed only at individuals responsible for what he described as crimes.

“We must make it clear that unlike Pakistan, we do not target civilians. Our target is the real criminals — Pakistani military personnel responsible for these acts,” he said.

This comes in the wake of airstrikes early Sunday morning on Nangarhar and Paktika provinces, which have sharply escalated tensions between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Pakistani officials say the strikes targeted militant hideouts along the border, describing them as intelligence-based operations against armed groups accused of carrying out attacks inside Pakistan.

Islamabad has repeatedly blamed Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) fighters for a surge in violence and has alleged that such groups operate from Afghan territory.

Afghan authorities, however, have condemned the strikes as a violation of the country’s sovereignty, reporting civilian casualties and damage to residential areas.

Officials in Kabul say the attacks have further strained already fragile relations between the two neighbors.

Cross-border tensions have flared repeatedly in recent years over security concerns, militant activity, and disputes along the disputed Durand Line. Diplomatic engagements and temporary de-escalation efforts have so far failed to produce a lasting solution, leaving the border region volatile and prone to renewed confrontation.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Ariana News. All rights reserved!