Regional
Iran agrees to temporary ceasefire as US pauses attacks
Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif confirmed that the ceasefire would take effect immediately, raising hopes for a broader diplomatic breakthrough.
Iran has agreed to a two-week ceasefire with the United States, in a move aimed at easing rising tensions and preventing further escalation in the region.
The agreement comes after U.S. President Donald Trump said in a social media post that Washington would hold off on threatened attacks against Iranian infrastructure if Tehran agreed to reopen the Strait of Hormuz.
“I have agreed to back off attacks for two weeks, subject to Iran reopening the Strait,” Trump said, stepping back from earlier warnings that “a whole civilization will die tonight.”
The temporary truce was brokered by Pakistan, which has been acting as a key mediator between the two sides. Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif confirmed that the ceasefire would take effect immediately, raising hopes for a broader diplomatic breakthrough.
Iran’s Supreme National Security Council confirmed that Tehran had accepted the ceasefire proposal, signaling a willingness to move toward de-escalation after weeks of conflict.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said the country’s armed forces would facilitate safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz during the two-week period, provided attacks against Iran are halted.
“If aggression stops, our forces will ensure secure transit,” he said, referring to the vital shipping route through which around one-fifth of the world’s oil passes.
The Strait of Hormuz had been closed by Iran in response to the conflict, triggering global concern over energy supplies and maritime security. Its reopening, even temporarily, is expected to ease pressure on international markets and reduce the risk of wider economic disruption.
The conflict, which escalated sharply in late February, has involved sustained strikes and heightened tensions across the Middle East. While the ceasefire marks a significant pause in hostilities, key issues remain unresolved, including sanctions, regional security arrangements, and the presence of U.S. forces.
Talks between Iran and the United States are expected to begin in the coming days, with Pakistan continuing to play a facilitation role. Analysts say the negotiations will be crucial in determining whether the temporary truce can evolve into a longer-term agreement.
Despite the breakthrough, observers caution that the situation remains fragile, and any renewed escalation could quickly undo the progress achieved through the ceasefire.
Regional
Death toll jumps to 90 in China coal mine blast
The death toll from a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China’s Shanxi province has jumped to 90, state media CCTV reported on Saturday.
The gas explosion occurred late on Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, with 247 workers on duty underground, state media Xinhua reported earlier in the day, according to Reuters.
Chinese President Xi Jinping called for authorities to “spare no effort” in treating the injured and conducting search and rescue operations, while ordering a thorough investigation into the cause of the accident and strict accountability in accordance with the law, according to Xinhua.
Premier Li Qiang echoed the instructions, calling for timely and accurate release of information and rigorous accountability.
Rescue operations were ongoing and the cause of the accident was under investigation, according to the local emergency management authority in Qinyuan.
China has significantly reduced coal mine fatalities – often caused by gas explosions or flooding – since the early 2000s through more stringent regulations and safer practices. The Liushenyu incident, though, was one of the deadliest reported in China in the past decade.
Executives of the company responsible for the mine have been detained, Xinhua reported.
Earlier Xinhua had reported only eight dead, with more than 200 people brought safely to the surface. It did not explain the jump in the death toll.
Regional
Pakistan army chief heads to Tehran amid US-Iran mediation efforts
Pakistan’s Army Chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, departed for Tehran on Friday for talks with senior Iranian officials, according to a diplomatic source cited by Islamic Republic News Agency.
The source in Islamabad said the visit comes amid ongoing Pakistani efforts to help ease tensions between the United States and Iran.
No details were provided regarding the duration or agenda of the trip.
This marks Munir’s second reported visit to Tehran as part of Islamabad’s mediation initiatives.
Regional
British woman detained in Iran resumes hunger strike alongside husband
The pair had previously spoken to media outlets from prison, describing harsh prison conditions and fears over their future.
A British woman imprisoned in Iran has resumed a hunger strike alongside her husband as the couple continue protesting their detention and prison conditions after more than 16 months in custody.
Craig and Lindsay Foreman, a couple from East Sussex, were arrested in January 2025 while travelling through Iran during a round-the-world motorcycle trip. Iranian authorities later sentenced them to 10 years in prison on espionage charges, which they strongly deny.
According to reports, Craig Foreman began refusing food on May 9 after prison authorities at Tehran’s Evin prison cut off the couple’s access to phone calls following media interviews they gave from custody. Lindsay Foreman is believed to have joined the hunger strike on Tuesday.
Family members say the restrictions on communication with the outside world have increased psychological pressure on the couple during their detention.
The pair had previously spoken to media outlets from prison, describing harsh prison conditions and fears over their future.
In one interview, Lindsay Foreman said she had come to terms with the possibility of dying in prison amid growing regional tensions and uncertainty surrounding their case.
She also described life inside Evin prison during periods of heightened military tensions, saying inmates hid under beds as explosions were heard across Tehran.
Craig Foreman appealed directly to the British government for assistance, saying he could not understand why they had remained imprisoned for more than a year.
He also described being held in a small prison cell under difficult conditions, saying the experience had left him emotionally and physically exhausted.
The British government continues to advise against all travel to Iran, warning citizens of a significant risk of arrest, questioning or detention.
Earlier this year, the UK temporarily withdrew some diplomatic staff from Iran amid concerns over possible military escalation involving the United States and Israel.
-
Regional5 days agoRevised Iranian proposal to end war shared with US, Pakistani source says
-
Sport4 days agoMexico City Stadium to host opening match of FIFA World Cup 2026
-
Latest News3 days agoIndia announce squads for Afghanistan Test and ODI series
-
Latest News4 days agoUK envoy highlights importance of Afghanistan-Pakistan relations and women’s inclusion
-
Business4 days agoAfghanistan’s domestic pharmaceutical production sees major growth: Mullah Baradar
-
Climate Change4 days agoAfghanistan climate and housing challenges highlighted at World Urban Forum in Baku
-
Latest News3 days agoMullah Baradar launches $150 million Lajward residential complex in Balkh
-
Latest News4 days agoFazlur Rehman says Pakistan’s Afghanistan policy has failed
