Connect with us

Latest News

Nabi to captain T20 World Cup team after Rashid Khan steps down

Published

on

Mohammad Nabi said he has been named Afghanistan skipper for the upcoming T20 World Cup after Rashid Khan unexpectedly stepped down as captain on Thursday.

Rashid issued a statement on Twitter Thursday announcing his decision which he said was in protest against the selection of the national squad that was done without his input.

The all-rounder announced the news minutes after the Afghanistan Cricket Board (ACB) confirmed their World Cup squad.

“The selection committee and ACB has not obtained my consent for the team which has been announced by ACB media,” he said in a statement on social media.

“As the captain and responsible person for the nation I reserve the right to be part of the selection of the team.

“I am taking the decision of stepping down from the role as the captain of Afghanistan T20 side effective immediately,” Rashid stated.

The ACB is yet to officially announce Nabi’s appointment as captain but the 36-year-old all-rounder tweeted that he has been chosen to lead the team.

“At this critical stage, I admire the decision of ACB for the announcement of leading the National Cricket Team in T20 Format,” Nabi said.

“InshaAllah together we will present a great picture of the Nation in the upcoming T20 World Cup,” he added.The T20 World Cup is scheduled to be held in the UAE and Oman from October 17 to November 14.

T20 Squad: Rashid Khan, Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Hazratullah Zazai, Usman Ghani, Asghar Afghan, Mohammad Nabi, Najibullah Zadran, Hashmatullah Shahidi, Mohammad Shahzad, Mujeeb ur Rahman, Karim Janat, Gulbadin Naib, Naveen ul Haq, Hamid Hassan, Sharafuddin Ashraf, Dawlat Zadran, Shapoor Zadran, Qais Ahmed

Reserves: Afsar Zazai, Farid Ahmed Malik

Latest News

Aisha Wahab makes history as first Afghan American elected to US Congress

Wahab will serve the remainder of Swalwell’s term, which expires in January, before facing Hernandez again on November 3 in the election for a full two-year congressional term.

Published

on

Aisha Wahab has made history by becoming the first Afghan American elected to the US Congress after winning a special election to fill the remaining term of former Representative Eric Swalwell.

According to a report by East Bay Times, Wahab defeated BART Board President Melissa Hernandez, securing 53% of the vote against her opponent’s 47%.

Wahab received 51,610 votes, compared with 45,598 for Hernandez, giving her an unassailable lead with only a small number of ballots remaining to be processed.

“This victory belongs to the voters who made clear that our district cannot be bought,” Wahab said following her historic win. She added that her journey from foster care to Congress demonstrates the possibility of achieving the American Dream.

The closely watched race drew more than $5 million in outside political spending, much of it supporting Hernandez or opposing Wahab. Despite the intense campaign, Wahab maintained her lead and secured victory in the special election.

Wahab will serve the remainder of Swalwell’s term, which expires in January, before facing Hernandez again on November 3 in the election for a full two-year congressional term.

The 14th Congressional District includes parts of southern Alameda County and the Tri-Valley, including Fremont, Hayward, Livermore, Dublin and Pleasanton.

A former Hayward councilwoman and California state senator, Wahab’s victory marks a historic milestone for the Afghan American community and representation in the US Congress.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Two UNAMA staff released after more than a week in detention

UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric told reporters on Thursday that the two employees had been released earlier in the day and appeared to be in good health.

Published

on

Two Afghan national staff members of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) have been released after being detained for more than a week, a UN spokesman said.

UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric told reporters on Thursday that the two employees had been released earlier in the day and appeared to be in good health.

“We understand that the charges against them have been dropped, so we are delighted they are out,” Dujarric said.

He added, however, that UNAMA had not been informed of the reasons behind their arrest and detention.

“We’re continuing to follow up with the de facto authorities,” he said, noting that the United Nations is also seeking assurances that the privileges and immunities of its personnel will be respected.

Dujarric also raised concerns over the continued detention of UN staff in Yemen, saying that 73 UN personnel remain in the custody of the Houthis.

“We continue to do everything we can to seek their immediate release,” he said.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Qatar and UAE condemn Kabul school bombing that injured dozens

The United Arab Emirates also condemned the attack in the strongest terms, expressing concern over the incident and the injuries caused.

Published

on

Qatar and the United Arab Emirates have strongly condemned a bombing at an educational centre in Afghanistan’s capital, Kabul, that injured dozens of people.

Qatar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in a statement issued Thursday, reaffirmed Doha’s firm opposition to violence, terrorism and criminal acts, regardless of their motives or objectives.

The ministry also expressed its wishes for a speedy recovery to those injured in the attack.

The blast occurred on Monday at Sham-e Hedayat Private School in Mahdiya Township, located in Kabul’s 18th security district.

According to local sources, at least 52 people were injured when a hand grenade exploded at around 4:55 p.m. The grenade was reportedly in the hands of a student when it detonated.

The United Arab Emirates also condemned the attack in the strongest terms, expressing concern over the incident and the injuries caused.

The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it rejects all forms of violence and terrorism that threaten security and stability.

The ministry expressed solidarity with Afghanistan and its people following what it described as a heinous attack, and wished all those injured a speedy recovery.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2026 Ariana News. All rights reserved!