Latest News
WFP provides cash assistance to 4 million people in Afghanistan this year
The UN’s World Food Program says the cash will enable people to spend it on what their families need most
The World Food Program said almost four million needy people in Afghanistan have received cash assistance from the UN agency so far this year.
In a post on X, WFP said about half of the recipients were women.
The amount of cash donated to these individuals has not been disclosed.
However, the World Food Program says the cash will enable people to spend it on what their families need most.
The World Food Program announced in August that at least 12 million Afghans do not know where their next meal will come from and that four million infants and pregnant women are malnourished.
The organization said last week that many Afghan children survive on only bread and tea.
Latest News
China restricts export of chemical substances to Afghanistan
China’s Ministry of Commerce has imposed restrictions on the export of certain chemicals to several countries, including Afghanistan, in an effort to prevent the production of narcotics.
The ministry said China has placed under control the export of a number of chemicals that can be used in the manufacture of narcotic drugs to six countries, including Afghanistan.
According to the ministry, the decision was made in coordination with various government bodies, including security forces, customs authorities, and drug regulatory agencies.
The move is aimed at “improving oversight of the export of chemicals that can be used in the production of narcotics,” the ministry stated.
Khan Jan Alokozay, a member of the Chamber of Commerce and Investment, said: “Some of these materials are used in our factories, and discussions should be held with the Chinese side to ensure their supply remains secure and is not blocked for us.”
Meanwhile, the Union of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers in Afghanistan said that medicines contain chemical substances, but the more responsibly these chemicals are imported, the more beneficial they will be for the country and its citizens. The union described China’s decision as reasonable and stressed that traders should also act responsibly in this regard.
Ahmad Saeed Shams, head of the Union of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers, said: “The export of these chemical substances should be controlled, and we also support this decision.”
According to the report, the list of substances subject to these restrictions for Afghanistan, Laos, and Myanmar includes 41 chemical items.
These substances include compounds such as ammonium chloride, barium sulfate, and palladium chloride. In contrast, a separate list containing 16 types of chemical substances has been designated for the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
China’s Ministry of Commerce added that once the decision takes effect, exporters of these substances to the mentioned countries will be required to obtain special permits.
However, the restrictions do not apply to other countries and regions.
Latest News
Mullah Baradar approves 15 projects worth around 4.2 billion AFN
The National Procurement Commission, chaired by Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, Deputy Prime Minister for Economic Affairs, approved 15 projects worth around 4.2 billion AFN on Saturday, while amendments were made to seven other projects.
According to a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office, the approved and amended projects include the completion of geotechnical studies for the Zardalu Dam in Ghazni province; construction of a 14-kilometre road at Hairatan Port in Balkh; construction of the Kabul–Logar road from the end of Lot One to Sang-e-Nawishta; construction of public hospitals in Lolash District of Faryab, Andar District of Ghazni, Kajran District of Daykundi, Bala Murghab District of Badghis, Kahmard District of Bamyan, and Musa Khel District of Khost, as well as the completion of remaining electricity transmission and distribution projects in various provinces.
The approved projects are financed by the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, the statement added.
Latest News
U.N. rights envoy calls for probe into deadly strike on Kabul drug rehab hospital
Richard Bennett, the U.N. special rapporteur on human rights in Afghanistan, has called for a full and independent investigation into the March 16 attack on the Omid Drug Rehabilitation Hospital in Kabul.
In a post on X, Bennett said the attack, which he said was carried out by Pakistan, resulted in the deaths of more than 269 civilians, according to figures verified by United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan.
“The 16/3 attack by Pakistan on Omid Drug Rehab Hospital in Kabul where UNAMA verified 269+ civilians killed demands a full, independent investigation,” Bennett wrote.
He added that deliberate attacks targeting civilians or civilian facilities could amount to war crimes under international law.
Bennett also urged the IEA authorities to ensure the safety and protection of patients and civilians in medical and rehabilitation facilities across Afghanistan.
-
Regional5 days agoRevised Iranian proposal to end war shared with US, Pakistani source says
-
Sport4 days agoMexico City Stadium to host opening match of FIFA World Cup 2026
-
Latest News4 days agoIndia announce squads for Afghanistan Test and ODI series
-
Latest News5 days agoUK envoy highlights importance of Afghanistan-Pakistan relations and women’s inclusion
-
Business4 days agoAfghanistan’s domestic pharmaceutical production sees major growth: Mullah Baradar
-
Climate Change5 days agoAfghanistan climate and housing challenges highlighted at World Urban Forum in Baku
-
Latest News3 days agoMullah Baradar launches $150 million Lajward residential complex in Balkh
-
Latest News4 days agoFazlur Rehman says Pakistan’s Afghanistan policy has failed
