Regional
Trump says ‘a whole civilisation will die tonight’; Qatar fears regional escalation
A senior Iranian source said on Tuesday afternoon that Tehran would not show flexibility as long as Washington continues to demand its “surrender under pressure.”
Tensions in the Middle East have escalated sharply after U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday warned that “a whole civilisation will die tonight” amid growing confrontation with Iran and deepening instability across the region.
In a series of statements posted on social media, Trump issued a direct ultimatum to Tehran, demanding that Iran reopen the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz or face severe consequences. “I don’t want that to happen, but it probably will… we will find out tonight,” he said, describing the moment as one of the most significant in modern history.
The warning follows earlier remarks in which Trump threatened that Iran would be “living in hell” if it failed to comply with U.S. demands.
The Strait of Hormuz, a narrow but critical waterway, carries roughly 20 percent of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas shipments, making it a focal point of global economic and security concerns.
A senior Iranian source meanwhile told Reuters on Tuesday afternoon that Tehran would not show flexibility as long as Washington continues to demand its “surrender under pressure.”
The source, who asked not to be named, said Qatar on Monday had conveyed Tehran’s message to the United States and regional countries that if Washington attacks Iran’s power plants, “the entire region and Saudi Arabia will fall into complete darkness with Iran’s retaliatory strikes”.
He said what the U.S. wants is the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, and Iran will not open it in exchange for empty promises.
He also warned that “if the situation gets out of control, Iran’s allies will also close the Bab El-Mandeb Strait” – a crucial 30-km wide maritime chokepoint connecting the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean. It is located between the southwestern tip of the Arabian Peninsula (Yemen) and the Horn of Africa (Djibouti and Eritrea).
The escalating rhetoric comes against the backdrop of an intensifying conflict involving the United States, Israel, and Iran, which has been ongoing since late February. Iran has continued to launch attacks across the region, claiming to target U.S. interests, a justification widely rejected by the international community.
Meanwhile, Qatar has warned that the situation is approaching a dangerous tipping point. Speaking in Doha, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Majed Al-Ansari said the region is “very close” to an uncontrollable escalation.
“We have been warning since 2023 that escalation left unchecked will get us into a situation where it cannot be controlled,” Al-Ansari said, urging all parties to pursue an immediate resolution to the conflict. “There are no winners if this war continues,” he added.
Qatar has previously acted as a mediator between Washington and Tehran, though officials say it is not currently engaged in active negotiations. Nevertheless, Doha has expressed support for ongoing diplomatic efforts, including initiatives led by Pakistan, to de-escalate tensions.
U.S. Vice President JD Vance also issued a warning, stating that Washington still has additional measures at its disposal if Iran fails to respond to diplomatic overtures. He indicated that the United States expects a response from Tehran within hours.
Al-Ansari emphasized that any future agreement must involve regional stakeholders and include international guarantees, particularly regarding the Strait of Hormuz. “Hormuz is a natural strait, not a canal, and all countries in the region have the right to use it freely,” he said.
Analysts warn that continued escalation could have far-reaching consequences, not only for regional stability but also for global energy markets and international security, as fears grow that the conflict could spiral into a broader confrontation.
Regional
Death toll jumps to 90 in China coal mine blast
The death toll from a gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China’s Shanxi province has jumped to 90, state media CCTV reported on Saturday.
The gas explosion occurred late on Friday at the Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan county, with 247 workers on duty underground, state media Xinhua reported earlier in the day, according to Reuters.
Chinese President Xi Jinping called for authorities to “spare no effort” in treating the injured and conducting search and rescue operations, while ordering a thorough investigation into the cause of the accident and strict accountability in accordance with the law, according to Xinhua.
Premier Li Qiang echoed the instructions, calling for timely and accurate release of information and rigorous accountability.
Rescue operations were ongoing and the cause of the accident was under investigation, according to the local emergency management authority in Qinyuan.
China has significantly reduced coal mine fatalities – often caused by gas explosions or flooding – since the early 2000s through more stringent regulations and safer practices. The Liushenyu incident, though, was one of the deadliest reported in China in the past decade.
Executives of the company responsible for the mine have been detained, Xinhua reported.
Earlier Xinhua had reported only eight dead, with more than 200 people brought safely to the surface. It did not explain the jump in the death toll.
Regional
Pakistan army chief heads to Tehran amid US-Iran mediation efforts
Pakistan’s Army Chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, departed for Tehran on Friday for talks with senior Iranian officials, according to a diplomatic source cited by Islamic Republic News Agency.
The source in Islamabad said the visit comes amid ongoing Pakistani efforts to help ease tensions between the United States and Iran.
No details were provided regarding the duration or agenda of the trip.
This marks Munir’s second reported visit to Tehran as part of Islamabad’s mediation initiatives.
Regional
British woman detained in Iran resumes hunger strike alongside husband
The pair had previously spoken to media outlets from prison, describing harsh prison conditions and fears over their future.
A British woman imprisoned in Iran has resumed a hunger strike alongside her husband as the couple continue protesting their detention and prison conditions after more than 16 months in custody.
Craig and Lindsay Foreman, a couple from East Sussex, were arrested in January 2025 while travelling through Iran during a round-the-world motorcycle trip. Iranian authorities later sentenced them to 10 years in prison on espionage charges, which they strongly deny.
According to reports, Craig Foreman began refusing food on May 9 after prison authorities at Tehran’s Evin prison cut off the couple’s access to phone calls following media interviews they gave from custody. Lindsay Foreman is believed to have joined the hunger strike on Tuesday.
Family members say the restrictions on communication with the outside world have increased psychological pressure on the couple during their detention.
The pair had previously spoken to media outlets from prison, describing harsh prison conditions and fears over their future.
In one interview, Lindsay Foreman said she had come to terms with the possibility of dying in prison amid growing regional tensions and uncertainty surrounding their case.
She also described life inside Evin prison during periods of heightened military tensions, saying inmates hid under beds as explosions were heard across Tehran.
Craig Foreman appealed directly to the British government for assistance, saying he could not understand why they had remained imprisoned for more than a year.
He also described being held in a small prison cell under difficult conditions, saying the experience had left him emotionally and physically exhausted.
The British government continues to advise against all travel to Iran, warning citizens of a significant risk of arrest, questioning or detention.
Earlier this year, the UK temporarily withdrew some diplomatic staff from Iran amid concerns over possible military escalation involving the United States and Israel.
-
Regional5 days agoRevised Iranian proposal to end war shared with US, Pakistani source says
-
Sport4 days agoMexico City Stadium to host opening match of FIFA World Cup 2026
-
Latest News4 days agoIndia announce squads for Afghanistan Test and ODI series
-
Latest News4 days agoUK envoy highlights importance of Afghanistan-Pakistan relations and women’s inclusion
-
Climate Change4 days agoAfghanistan climate and housing challenges highlighted at World Urban Forum in Baku
-
Business4 days agoAfghanistan’s domestic pharmaceutical production sees major growth: Mullah Baradar
-
Latest News3 days agoMullah Baradar launches $150 million Lajward residential complex in Balkh
-
Latest News4 days agoFazlur Rehman says Pakistan’s Afghanistan policy has failed

