Connect with us

Latest News

US aid to Afghanistan in food and healthcare sectors also terminated: SIGAR

Published

on

After US President Donald Trump issued an executive order instituting a 90-day pause in foreign development assistance, emergency humanitarian assistance providing lifesaving food, nutrition, and healthcare was initially exempted, but terminated in April due to concerns that the Islamic Emirate benefits from such aid, a US government watchdog said.

In a quarterly report, the Office of the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) said that following the order and subsequent review, all USAID programs to Afghanistan were terminated, except for two awards supporting higher education.

USAID/Afghanistan funds two active programs as of April 15. Promote Scholarship Endowment, formerly Women’s Scholarship Endowment, provides university scholarships for Afghan women in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.

Supporting Student Success in Afghanistan funds online learning through the American University of Afghanistan, with the goal of increasing access to higher education in Afghanistan.

SIGAR reported that on April 8, US State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce confirmed that previously exempt emergency food assistance to Afghanistan was terminated “to mitigate Taliban interference.” State also terminated other awards that provided cash-based assistance “given concerns about misuse and a lack of appropriate accountability.”

The Islamic Emirate has previously denied interference in the international assistance in Afghanistan.

According to SIGAR, the United States has been the single largest donor to programs supporting the Afghan people, having disbursed more than $3.83 billion in humanitarian and development assistance since the Islamic Emirate takeover in 2021.

Latest News

Aisha Wahab makes history as first Afghan American elected to US Congress

Wahab will serve the remainder of Swalwell’s term, which expires in January, before facing Hernandez again on November 3 in the election for a full two-year congressional term.

Published

on

Aisha Wahab has made history by becoming the first Afghan American elected to the US Congress after winning a special election to fill the remaining term of former Representative Eric Swalwell.

According to a report by East Bay Times, Wahab defeated BART Board President Melissa Hernandez, securing 53% of the vote against her opponent’s 47%.

Wahab received 51,610 votes, compared with 45,598 for Hernandez, giving her an unassailable lead with only a small number of ballots remaining to be processed.

“This victory belongs to the voters who made clear that our district cannot be bought,” Wahab said following her historic win. She added that her journey from foster care to Congress demonstrates the possibility of achieving the American Dream.

The closely watched race drew more than $5 million in outside political spending, much of it supporting Hernandez or opposing Wahab. Despite the intense campaign, Wahab maintained her lead and secured victory in the special election.

Wahab will serve the remainder of Swalwell’s term, which expires in January, before facing Hernandez again on November 3 in the election for a full two-year congressional term.

The 14th Congressional District includes parts of southern Alameda County and the Tri-Valley, including Fremont, Hayward, Livermore, Dublin and Pleasanton.

A former Hayward councilwoman and California state senator, Wahab’s victory marks a historic milestone for the Afghan American community and representation in the US Congress.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Two UNAMA staff released after more than a week in detention

UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric told reporters on Thursday that the two employees had been released earlier in the day and appeared to be in good health.

Published

on

Two Afghan national staff members of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) have been released after being detained for more than a week, a UN spokesman said.

UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric told reporters on Thursday that the two employees had been released earlier in the day and appeared to be in good health.

“We understand that the charges against them have been dropped, so we are delighted they are out,” Dujarric said.

He added, however, that UNAMA had not been informed of the reasons behind their arrest and detention.

“We’re continuing to follow up with the de facto authorities,” he said, noting that the United Nations is also seeking assurances that the privileges and immunities of its personnel will be respected.

Dujarric also raised concerns over the continued detention of UN staff in Yemen, saying that 73 UN personnel remain in the custody of the Houthis.

“We continue to do everything we can to seek their immediate release,” he said.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Qatar and UAE condemn Kabul school bombing that injured dozens

The United Arab Emirates also condemned the attack in the strongest terms, expressing concern over the incident and the injuries caused.

Published

on

Qatar and the United Arab Emirates have strongly condemned a bombing at an educational centre in Afghanistan’s capital, Kabul, that injured dozens of people.

Qatar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in a statement issued Thursday, reaffirmed Doha’s firm opposition to violence, terrorism and criminal acts, regardless of their motives or objectives.

The ministry also expressed its wishes for a speedy recovery to those injured in the attack.

The blast occurred on Monday at Sham-e Hedayat Private School in Mahdiya Township, located in Kabul’s 18th security district.

According to local sources, at least 52 people were injured when a hand grenade exploded at around 4:55 p.m. The grenade was reportedly in the hands of a student when it detonated.

The United Arab Emirates also condemned the attack in the strongest terms, expressing concern over the incident and the injuries caused.

The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it rejects all forms of violence and terrorism that threaten security and stability.

The ministry expressed solidarity with Afghanistan and its people following what it described as a heinous attack, and wished all those injured a speedy recovery.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2026 Ariana News. All rights reserved!